• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advanced techniques for Murray's Superior Pomade

Roygbivuxg

Reaction score
The pics in this thread have persuaded me to try this stuff out. At less than $3 a tin, why not right? I'm liking the results so far (today is day one).

Reggs how much do you use per application? My hair is about 3 inches long and I'm thinking the quarter teaspoon I used won't be holding my hair for more than 2 days. I just don't wanna over use it. **** really is a pain to wash off your hands.
confused.gif

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roygbivuxg

Reggs how much do you use per application? My hair is about 3 inches long and I'm thinking the quarter teaspoon I used won't be holding my hair for more than 2 days. I just don't wanna over use it. **** really is a pain to wash off your hands.
confused.gif

It's hard to relate since my hair is so much longer, but 1/4 of a teaspoon sounds a bit on the light side. Try 1/2 for a good start.

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
The OP mentioned the "seawater" feel and i know exactly what that's like, only need to find something close -- which is why the murray's interests me.

i'm looking for the similar 'beach hair' look, that is super matte and has a ropey texture. I cant find anything that does this besides not washing my hair for 3 or 4 days and how my hair looks in the morning when i wake up.

I want a product that can duplicate this look, but on demand. Seems like Murray's will have more shine then i care for, no?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee
i'm looking for the similar 'beach hair' look, that is super matte and has a ropey texture. I cant find anything that does this besides not washing my hair for 3 or 4 days and how my hair looks in the morning when i wake up. I want a product that can duplicate this look, but on demand. Seems like Murray's will have more shine then i care for, no?
Try Jonathan Antin Dirt. Designed to recreate the "day after washing" hair look. You can get it at Sephora. You have to liquefy the product by rubbing it in your palms before applying. Start with a pea sized amount and add more if it isn't enough.

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
Man, props to you for being able to pull that off.

I feel like I would be called a greaser with that stuff in my hair. It looks awesome though.

I'm not sure how you all view Crew products, but I'm a big fan of the forming cream and pomade. I can kind of get the same effect, but they are water-based, so they wash right out.

Roygbivuxg

Reaction score
Its been 5 days since I put this stuff in my hair and I gotta say I'm quite pleased with the results. My only problem is I can't get it out of my hair?! I've washed with shampoo for the last three days already but its still got that hardened, dried sea-water feel. I'm a little hesitant to use the dish detergent considering my sensitive scalp. Any Murray's Superior veterans with advice?

Adrian P-fizzle

Reaction score
Hey, I am new here!
I read the guy above me's post, and had to comment.

I feel sorry for ya man, I am a greaser so i have a nice dose of this stuff in my hair, every day.

Here are a few SERIOUS tips.

What ever you do, do NOT sleep with a nice dosing of this stuff in your hair, it will cause breakage and weak hair over time, and do not "NOT" rinse your hair out, seriously, make sure it is WELL rinsed before sleeping or going on a 5 day romp with it in your hair. I am used to this stuff so its not too much work for me at night(I know what i am doing)

So, why should you not leave this in your hair? well.
It can fall out, and it may or may not grow back in.
How? the oil(or even the "Wax") can go into the pores in your scalp and then, your hair can not breathe. pretty cool huh?

May i suggest for you guys, dax instead. I use dax also, and it is a bit softer(albeit the same stuff) as murrays, you can put it into your hair easier, and it comes out SLIGHTLY easier than murrays also. But the hold is the same.

Make sure you use a good clarifying shampoo(ding ding ding!!!!) to get this stuff out of your hair, 4 washes should do. Dish soap should be used only in a pinch, and if you use dish soap, 4-5 rinses should get it out, and make sure you put in some LEAVE IN CONDITIONER(or just normal conditioner) so your hair gets the damage from the shampoo or soap fixed.

Or, for around the same price, you can use "sportin' waves" It makes your hair a bit more shinier(depending on hair length) and it washes out WAY easier than murrays(warm water rinse will do the job), But unless you have a pompadour like me, you more than likely won't get a firm hold like murrays(you still get a above average hold though) but you will have the "slightly greasy head" look after...say...2 days, as opposed to risking having your hair fall out in 5 days.(remember, rinsing out sporting waves wont take ALL of it out, but ONE shampoo will..normal, no clarifying shampoo that is)

Now, for the trick of getting it out. Here is the fun part!
There is many ways, blow dryer, or straight clarifying shampoo. I suggest both.

Blow dryer heats the product on your hair, making it melt. So now tat you have the blow drying heating your locks(mae sure you do this quick as to not damage your hair with too much heat) add the clarifying shampoo, or soap of choice(grease fighters are better) while blowing your hair with the dryer air(I rhymed) and rub it in, and then quickly hop in the shower(steam will keep your hair nicely warm) let the shampoo sit in your hair for a good 3 mins, then rinse out in warm(or hot, depending on shower preference) water.

Ya learn something new every day right?

Plus guys, if you have long hair, stay away from the murrays. Women+men+long hair on said men+murrays= ew.
If you wanna tame medium and short hair, murrays IMO beats those 16$ crap products every day, crew, redken etc etc.
Crew tries to tie its self to "sophisticated" men of the 40's-60's, but sophisticated men used brylcreem and murrays.the wearers of those are simply known in todays terms as "greasers".

Hope I helped you guys out. :)

just HAD to chime in. Im out!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads