• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello all, I recently purchased a pair of Adidas Y-3 by Yohji Yamamoto (Model: Field IV A 551729) in Brown suede. Does anyone have experience regarding quality / longevity? Any other thoughts or comments are also appreciated.
y3004-item4_p.jpg
Jon.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I LOVE Y-3, I don't care if the quality is good or not, Yohji is a god.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Yamamoto, but am not a huge fan of his Y-3 stuff. It stinks of "Try too hard", not to mention "Costs too much". I don't understand why you would get his stuff in suede in any case, rather than the more distinctive patent leather designs.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like Yamamoto, but am not a huge fan of his Y-3 stuff. It stinks of "Try too hard", not to mention "Costs too much". I don't understand why you would get his stuff in suede in any case, rather than the more distinctive patent leather designs.
I really liked them in suede...the particular model pictured also comes in matt black leather. But I think most of the other leather Y-3 models might be too um, "˜shiny' for my tastes. Nothing wrong with leather (or ultra-polished paten leather) mind you, it's just that on sneakers I find the look out of place and way too over styled Prada-like to actually work as a cool (cool as in: I'm trying to look good but not like I'm trying too hard) pair of casual shoes.

The suede shoes look very good with a pair of tan colored linen / linen blend pants or jeans.

Jon.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God or not, they cost (gulp) $290; maybe I went a bit overboard?
They seem a little bland to me, both in terms of color and design. I guess they're okay, but you're paying a lot for the badge - fifty bucks would get you a very similar, no-name pair at a local shoe/department store. For $290, I'd want something really distinctive.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ 20 Sep. 2004, 07:24) God or not, they cost (gulp) $290; maybe I went a bit overboard?
They seem a little bland to me, both in terms of color and design. I guess they're okay, but you're paying a lot for the badge - fifty bucks would get you a very similar, no-name pair at a local shoe/department store. For $290, I'd want something really distinctive.
Well, I previously found something very distinctive and definitely cheaper ($140), but I tried them on and walk a bit inside a local store that carries Puma and they just feel too weird. They fit perfectly but I doubt I can stay on them all day without ruining my feet:
l3391.jpg
3391m.jpg
3391-3p.jpg
Jon.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's this for distinctive? (not that I'd EVER wear them, so many things wrong with those shoes, so little time)
10538963_main.jpg
Jon.
Wow. You'd have to wear those with the matching poofy train-driver's hat. Â
biggrin.gif

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for the Pumas, how is the fit 'weird'? Is it the lumpy part on the sole, just forward of the heel? Bring a picture into a few cobblers near where you live, I'm sure at least one of them could fix that for less than $150...

Brian SD

Reaction score
The pictures do not do those shoes justice... I have seen them in rl, and I love them. I love love love them. Did I mention Yamamoto is a god? $290 is a lot for sneakers, but if I could afford to spend $290 on sneakers, they would be Y-3 sneakers.

LA Guy, I think every designer has a couple pieces that wreak of "tries too hard," and in fact most everything tends to, resulting in a couple pieces from a line that I really like. For Y-3, I think I like 75% or more of it. I think Y's for men is more "tries too hard" than Y-3, as far as Yohji Yamamoto is concerned.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As for the Pumas, how is the fit 'weird'? Is it the lumpy part on the sole, just forward of the heel? Bring a picture into a few cobblers near where you live, I'm sure at least one of them could fix that for less than $150...
The Pumas fit fine, they are nice and padded. The problem rests with the sole; it feels odd like there is a gaping hole in-between the sole (and there is) also the two round knobs are offset / do not compliment the square um, "˜pegs' (look at the picture of the sole, my description is lacking) and it just feels like after a few hours with the shoes on, my feet are going to hurt like kingdom come.

Jon.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yohji Yamamoto's main line is very beautiful.

For example a white shirt with double cuffs, and a huge collar pin inserted in the point collar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics