1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Adidas y-3 yohji yamamoto

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, Sep 19, 2004.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Hello all, I recently purchased a pair of Adidas Y-3 by Yohji Yamamoto (Model: Field IV A 551729) in Brown suede. Does anyone have experience regarding quality / longevity? Any other thoughts or comments are also appreciated. [​IMG] Jon.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I LOVE Y-3, I don't care if the quality is good or not, Yohji is a god.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Ambiguous post. So do you like Y-3 or not? [​IMG] God or not, they cost (gulp) $290; maybe I went a bit overboard? Jon.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I like Yamamoto, but am not a huge fan of his Y-3 stuff. It stinks of "Try too hard", not to mention "Costs too much". I don't understand why you would get his stuff in suede in any case, rather than the more distinctive patent leather designs.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I really liked them in suede...the particular model pictured also comes in matt black leather. But I think most of the other leather Y-3 models might be too um, "˜shiny' for my tastes. Nothing wrong with leather (or ultra-polished paten leather) mind you, it's just that on sneakers I find the look out of place and way too over styled Prada-like to actually work as a cool (cool as in: I'm trying to look good but not like I'm trying too hard) pair of casual shoes.

The suede shoes look very good with a pair of tan colored linen / linen blend pants or jeans.

Jon.

6. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

They seem a little bland to me, both in terms of color and design. I guess they're okay, but you're paying a lot for the badge - fifty bucks would get you a very similar, no-name pair at a local shoe/department store. For $290, I'd want something really distinctive.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(imageWIS @ 20 Sep. 2004, 07:24) God or not, they cost (gulp) $290; maybe I went a bit overboard?
    They seem a little bland to me, both in terms of color and design. I guess they're okay, but you're paying a lot for the badge - fifty bucks would get you a very similar, no-name pair at a local shoe/department store. For $290, I'd want something really distinctive.
    Well, I previously found something very distinctive and definitely cheaper ($140), but I tried them on and walk a bit inside a local store that carries Puma and they just feel too weird. They fit perfectly but I doubt I can stay on them all day without ruining my feet: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Jon.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

How's this for distinctive? (not that I'd EVER wear them, so many things wrong with those shoes, so little time) [​IMG] Jon.

9. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Wow. You'd have to wear those with the matching poofy train-driver's hat. Â [​IMG]

10. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

As for the Pumas, how is the fit 'weird'? Is it the lumpy part on the sole, just forward of the heel? Bring a picture into a few cobblers near where you live, I'm sure at least one of them could fix that for less than $150...

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

The pictures do not do those shoes justice... I have seen them in rl, and I love them. I love love love them. Did I mention Yamamoto is a god? $290 is a lot for sneakers, but if I could afford to spend $290 on sneakers, they would be Y-3 sneakers.

LA Guy, I think every designer has a couple pieces that wreak of "tries too hard," and in fact most everything tends to, resulting in a couple pieces from a line that I really like. For Y-3, I think I like 75% or more of it. I think Y's for men is more "tries too hard" than Y-3, as far as Yohji Yamamoto is concerned.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

The Pumas fit fine, they are nice and padded. The problem rests with the sole; it feels odd like there is a gaping hole in-between the sole (and there is) also the two round knobs are offset / do not compliment the square um, "˜pegs' (look at the picture of the sole, my description is lacking) and it just feels like after a few hours with the shoes on, my feet are going to hurt like kingdom come.

Jon.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yohji Yamamoto's main line is very beautiful.

For example a white shirt with double cuffs, and a huge collar pin inserted in the point collar.