ADIDAS Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RFX45, Jul 10, 2014.

1. ambyance

ambyance Senior member

anyone know of a us/ca retailer selling these? supposedly went on sale today

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Initial and quick review of UltraBoost after 3 runs on the treadmill.

[​IMG]

Let's start with the bad. It's hard to explain but there is definitely heel slippage on my pair and that is coming from a guy who sized down half when everyone else were staying tts or even sizing up half. The heel slippage only happens on faster runs, on walks of even slow jogs it is almost unnoticeable. The shoe is definitely snug on me for sure but if I were to try and guess what causes the heel slippage, it is probably that the primeknit is too pliable all over the place so your foot kind of pushes forward and stretches more than it should so it feel like the heel slips a bit? I think if the toe part of the primeknit were knitted tighter and less pliable, there wouldn't be this heel slip. Maybe the rear cushion could be tightened a bit? Again I am not 100% sure that is why but that would be my guess?

The next con is the rubber they used for the sole, while the web sole is great for heel to toe transition and flexibility, the rubber used is simply too soft. I've ran maybe 20 miles total in the treadmill, 3 times and the rubber were shredding already. See the pics below and you'll see what seems to be some rubber shavings and you'll see the little nubs on the sole are worn out. I can't imagine this shoes lasting too long at all sadly.

[​IMG]

Now those are the major cons, the heel slippage is livable since I am a casual runner so it isn't a big deal. For those who run competitively and such, this can still be on regular run days. Now for the goods!

The obvious parts. Shoes is breathable, not much to be said. Wear white socks and you will literally see them through the upper. Speaking of the primeknit upper, the bootie single upper design is great, gives a real lockdown feel, almost too snug on the top so be aware of that if you have a high instep like I do. I think it'll eventually stretch and it'll be great. I know this kind of contradicts my reason for why there may be heel slippage but overall it is a snug fit that feels locked down but when doing faster runs it does moves a bit while still feeling locked where your shoe wouldn't necessarily come off. I am not sure if that makes sense. lol

The boost sole is very comfortable, really up there with cushioning in the game. It is simply great, not much needs to be said.

Speaking boost, it is hard to explain but I do believe it does work. As a disclaimer, this may be a placebo effect, I will test if further but this is my experience. I tend to run on a treadmill at a steady pace of 5-5.5 mph and when I do it in the UB, I feel like I was running on a 4mph speed, like I am going faster than I usually do on the same setting I run in every day. I guess the energy return and extra bounce does propel me a bit more so I feel like I am moving faster so as a result I had to bump the mph to 6.5-7 to feel like I am running my usual steady pace. I think this is something that you can only measure on a treadmill, I doubt I'd be able to tell on outdoor runs unless I time myself and measure my runs intensively, this was just easier to measure on the treadmill and was quite surprised. I'll say it again though, might be a placebo effect but I did find the experience very interesting to say the least.

Well I hope that's my brief review of the UB so far, it isn't a perfect shoe but still a very good one at that especially if you are like the others who doesn't experience heel slippage then the shoe will be much better for you.

[​IMG]

3. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Now I'm unsure if I still want to buy it, but I need a new shoe for running anyways. Not sure how experienced you are with running shoes but would you say it's still worth the price tag compared to other running shoes? Not sure if I'll be able to do a test run in them before buying to test heel slippage.

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

It is hard to say if it is worth it, at least not yet. I am a casual runner and I got them on a discount ($140 shipped) and money-wise, I would be concerned about the sole wearing out quick. If this was your only on running shoe, it might not be worth it how fast it will wear out but for me personally, someone who has 3-4 running shoes in rotation at a time and do more indoor (treadmill) running these days than outdoors, it is worth it for the sale price.

To be fair, I have read that not everybody experiences heel slippage, it's more of an exception than the norm.

Also, Adidas has a 30-day testing program. You can run in them for a month and if it isn't to your liking, just return them. If the store you bought them from like Footlocker or Finishline won't take it, just contact Adidas and they'll take them back. I am not sure if they give you your cash back or if it becomes an Adidas voucher if sent back to them directly but at least you don't exactly lose money testing it out.

Another thing I'd suggest, if you do not need the primeknit upper and just want to experience the boost sole, check out your local Footlocker and Finishlines, the Energy Boosts are going for $50-$70 (plus whatever discount you can google). I've seen the last sizes go for as low as $40 at Macys even. It's a good place to start and worst comes to worst, return them before 30 days or if you like it then it becomes your next beaters.

Just noticed you're located in Europe so the 30-day program and sales might not apply to you but still try and look around for the older Energy Boosts and see what deals are out there in your area.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

5. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Thanks for the reply! I was mainly asking as I'm going to NYC in 2 weeks on a vacation and I was thinking about buying them there. Originally there was quite a price difference, but with the USD rising so much lately there's hardly any difference.

I'll probably take a look at some of the other boost models, as my current running shoes are really worn down. However, I also tore my ACL a month ago, so it'll be a while before I get back to running anyways. I didn't know about the 30-day guarantee but it seems they have it in Europe as well, if "they don't live up to your expectations". Fairly vague description so I'm not sure how hard it is to get a refund. They only accept them back if you bought them from their own webstore, though.

By the way if I'm buying Adidas (or Nike and such) in the US do local Footlockers then have better prices than going to an Adidas store?

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

In the US, you can return to Adidas even if bought from another store but the store you bought it from has to deny acceptance of the return first. Similar with Nike, except Nike will only accept if there is damage to the shoe and you get a voucher and the shoe can be up to a year old I believe?

As for better pricing, chain stores probably has better prices than the brands official stores, it really depends on the stock and model. Plus for Footlockers and Finishline, they usually have coupons you can print out. Footlocker has a Birthday Coupon for example (they also have them for Champs and Footaction), you can print out the coupon below and should work on most shoes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the best prices from the brands official stores, you got to visit the outlets.

7. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Thanks for the coupons!

Don't plan on going too further away from Manhattan than Brooklyn or something, so won't be visiting any outlets.

8. soleracks

soleracks Member

The red Raf Simmons are so hot, these monochrome shoes that came out lately (including the recent Pharrell Williams) fly off shelves so fast for a reason...

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Ralph Simpsons is a hack, why did they retire Mr. Dior!!

10. belvedere312

belvedere312 Member

Adidas Tubular for 2015
    [​IMG]

11. typericey

typericey Well-Known Member

My wife and I don't typically do his and hers thing at all, but for her birthday I got her UltraBoosts. Got me a pair too, of course.

[​IMG]

Now call me a pretentious ba***rd, but I don't use these for running at all. It's just a cool sneaker to me. No issues so far except that the heel "tabs" (if you would call it that) causes the cuff of my jeans to fall out of place. I guess they were really meant to be worn with running shorts or joggers. Otherwise, enjoying its comfort, fit, cushioning and looks. These are definitely go-to sneakers when you expect your day to have a lot of walking.

12. msg

msg Senior member

Where to find Rod Laver all whites in the US?

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Kanye wore the all white Ultra Boosts too so now it's selling out like retro Jordans. :censored:
    [​IMG]

14. barrettdudley

barrettdudley Senior member

need Y-3 sizing help for the Laver slip-on.

some places list a UK8 as a US9, but they Y-3 website has a UK8 correlating to a US8.5.

anybody know how these run? I'm usually a true 9 (42).

15. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Affiliate Vendor

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102
    [​IMG]

Thought i'd give you guys a fair heads up - we've got a super limited size run of these coming in for a saturday morning release. part of the Collective line they're bringing in this fall (KVA and so on). these "J&D" models are designed with the help of some of the creative directors of adidas performance division. they look nearly identical to the baseline ultra boost models, but they have a full leather insole as well as unique uppers; The black model is made in a special wool textile featuring reflective details for night running, while the white shoe utilizes Dyneema, a super high grade lightweight performance fabric.

these are going for 255 on saturday - we've never really done sneakers in this way so its hard to say if they'll be a blowout or not, but we're expecting that it could be a fast sell through.

we'll have more from adidas down the road, a couple more ultra boost projects, maybe some other gear. I'll keep y'all posted as I know more!