• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

adidas gazelle

Slh

Reaction score
Hi would like to buy these shoes but i have doubts, what's the difference beetween the old gazelle's and the gazelle 2? And beetween gazelle and the samba?
sorry or my bad english

Slh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by handsometigers
Well the gazelles are made of suede and have a high profile sole (which is white). Sambas are mostly made of leather with a "wingtip" made of suede. Also, sambas have a low profile sole.

Keep in mind that Gazelles smell like **** out of the box and it stays like that for a while.

High profile means the sole is pretty thick?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slh
High profile means the sole is pretty thick?

No. It means the profile is baked.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by handsometigers
Well the gazelles are made of suede and have a high profile sole (which is white). Sambas are mostly made of leather with a "wingtip" made of suede. Also, sambas have a low profile sole.

Keep in mind that Gazelles smell like **** out of the box and it stays like that for a while.

I used to wear Gazelles all the time.. this is wrong on all accounts. The web offerings are suede but I have never owned a suede pair. Mine are all leather (no suede) white with navy stripes. High profile is bs. If anything, the Gazelle is sleeker than the Samba. It's my favorite Adidas form and it's a shame they only offer it in ugly color schemes and suede on the website. Also, smell has never been an issue with any that I've had.

handsometigers

Reaction score
Conclusion: just buy what you like the most.
cheers.gif

Southlondongent

Reaction score
'Proper' Gazelles have (fairly) slim soles and a sleek profile - always suede. 'Gazelles' that ain't suede ain't Gazelles.
devil.gif
Modern versions are chunkier, more like Campus. 'Authentic' colours - red and blue. There's a range of other colours as well nowadays.

Original style Gazelles were recently reissued in the UK. Don't know if they're still available tho'..

http://www.retrotogo.com/2009/12/adi...-reissued.html

Southlondongent

Reaction score
When I mean 'proper' I should clarify I mean like the original '60s issued Gazelles.

The main difference between the originals and the modern version is that that the modern version are more chunky, come in more colours and don't have the gold lettering.

Those Gazelles are still nicer than most trainers/sneakers IMO. It's just that I prefer the original style.
smile.gif

As handsometigers suggests if you like them why not buy them.

wink.gif

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sambas ftw

Slh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southlondongent
When I mean 'proper' I should clarify I mean like the original '60s issued Gazelles.

The main difference between the originals and the modern version is that that the modern version are more chunky, come in more colours and don't have the gold lettering.

Those Gazelles are still nicer than most trainers/sneakers IMO. It's just that I prefer the original style.
smile.gif

As handsometigers suggests if you like them why not buy them.

wink.gif

thank you. You consider this http://redirectingat.com/?id=4092X64...p%3Ft%3D210986
the new one? Or the gazelle II?

Southlondongent

Reaction score
og's are softer suede. You need to see 'in the flesh' them to appreciate the difference....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads