• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adding working button holes to a jacket

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few nice coats that i have to have altered anyways, and i was wondering if it is possible to add working cuff buttons to the jackets after the fact. It seems simple in theory, however most things that seem simple are never that easy.

Many thanks in advance!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have the money.

You might find a better use for the money IMHO

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was it meant to have working button holes in the first place? meaning the sleeve was already cut for it as well as the lining, and all they did was close it? If not its probably gonna be a bit more complicated than just opening the sleeve and adding button holes.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. It wasn't intended to have them i don't believe. I figured i woudl ask! never hurts to know! thanks guys for the answers!

Itsuo

Reaction score
I had this done on two linen J.Crew jackets a year or two ago. It came out relatively fine, although under any kind of inspection it's clear to see the jacket was not made that way. In hindsight it probably wasn't really that useful. If you're commited to wearing the jacket with a hole undone after the alteration to make it appear as though the jacket was made to a higher standard (or perhaps just with that option) then you might see value in it.

If I remember correctly the tailoring place was reluctant but they were close friends of my mother so they just went ahead and did it. I can post photos if you're interested.

Good luck.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had this done on two linen J.Crew jackets a year or two ago. It came out relatively fine, although under any kind of inspection it's clear to see the jacket was not made that way. In hindsight it probably wasn't really that useful. If you're commited to wearing the jacket with a hole undone after the alteration to make it appear as though the jacket was made to a higher standard (or perhaps just with that option) then you might see value in it.
If I remember correctly the tailoring place was reluctant but they were close friends of my mother so they just went ahead and did it. I can post photos if you're interested.
Good luck.
I woudl be interested in seeing pictures if you don't mind! i would like to see how comprable the situation might be. Thank you so much for the help!

Marc

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you want functional button holes on OTR jackets in the first place?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same reason you would want them on a bespoke or MTM jacket... a nice sartorial detail on a well fitted jacket

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm a sucker for them. in fact, i'm having them done right now on a sweet italian polo blue blazer i just picked up. i've got a great tailor and he is charging $60 for both sleeves, including a slight shortening (shortening by itself on another jacket is $30). he's a good guy and i've been going to him for a long time, so he cuts me a break (that said, no, i'm pretty sure these are not hand-finished).

Macallan

Reaction score

Why do you want functional button holes on OTR jackets in the first place?

I have RTW jackets with working button holes - just because something is RTW does not mean it is inferior to MTM/bespoke. Although if the jacket does not come with working button holes, personally I would not add them on.

MOCKBA

Reaction score
I am fond of working buttonholes as they let one roll up the sleeves of a jacket. This serves me quite well during tough late night M&A negotiations - slowly unbuttoning and rolling up one's sleeves looks the bit and psychologically impacts your adversaries. Just make sure the jacket is cut with enough fabric to allow this.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems a waste of money to me and an affectation rather something which has a useful purpose.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am fond of working buttonholes as they let one roll up the sleeves of a jacket. This serves me quite well during tough late night M&A negotiations - slowly unbuttoning and rolling up one's sleeves looks the bit and psychologically impacts your adversaries. Just make sure the jacket is cut with enough fabric to allow this.

lol, this post is such BS

Itsuo

Reaction score
I woudl be interested in seeing pictures if you don't mind! i would like to see how comprable the situation might be. Thank you so much for the help!

Marc

Here you can see what it looks like from the outside with one button undone. They all can be undone but not easily and only for outside appearance.

Here you can see that they left the internal lining untouched and opened the sleeve outside of the lining. It is not pretty but it allows for all buttons to be functional.

This is a bespoke piece that shows what I think it should look like if it is made with functional buttons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads