• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adding working button holes to a jacket

Lear

Reaction score
Don't do it. Put the money towards a proper bespoke suit.

mcbrown

Reaction score

I am fond of working buttonholes as they let one roll up the sleeves of a jacket. This serves me quite well during tough late night M&A negotiations - slowly unbuttoning and rolling up one's sleeves looks the bit and psychologically impacts your adversaries. Just make sure the jacket is cut with enough fabric to allow this.

If I'm ever negotiating a transaction with someone and they start rolling up their ******* suit sleeves I'm going to burst out laughing at them.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here you can see what it looks like from the outside with one button undone. They all can be undone but not easily and only for outside appearance.

Here you can see that they left the internal lining untouched and opened the sleeve outside of the lining. It is not pretty but it allows for all buttons to be functional.

This is a bespoke piece that shows what I think it should look like if it is made with functional buttons.

Left the good one outside of the spoiler. Nice buttonholes.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seems a waste of money to me and an affectation rather something which has a useful purpose.

by serves a useful purpose, you mean like non-functioning buttons?
of course it's an affectation. all of dress is affectation.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input! Itsou, thanks for taking the time to send pictures, it looks quite good, however i agree with you about the lining. Thanks again!

Marc

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More pics:

carusoopenknoopsgatendimw9.jpg

carusoopenknoopsgatenopdi8.jpg

carusoopenknoopsgatenafio1.jpg

carusoopenknoopsgatenopfz0.jpg

carusoopenknoopsgatenombb5.jpg

The buttons were taken off, the button holes cut open, buttons sewn back on.

SamAs

Reaction score
Here you can see what it looks like from the outside with one button undone. They all can be undone but not easily and only for outside appearance.

Here you can see that they left the internal lining untouched and opened the sleeve outside of the lining. It is not pretty but it allows for all buttons to be functional.

This is a bespoke piece that shows what I think it should look like if it is made with functional buttons.

What a silly circumstance where the only people who might be involved with mess don't have blazers that can be rolled! Glad for this forum. I thought the buttons made it possible to keep the sleeves UP somehow, rather than allowing the sleeve to fold like that. Or wait... do you button them around?

I have a blazer (otr but nice) which got ruined by the wash (I was in the hospital undergoing surgeries, and accidentally sent it with the $.60/lb washing) and I started to wear it rolled up all the time just for something warm/reasonably presentable with pockets I wouldn't be heartbroken to see ruined. It's nice to be able to wear a blazer when I work on my car, or deal with kids and just not worry about it. Would be nice to be able to button it up so it doesn't get smudge form the chalk board, table surfaces. Too bad it'll be viewed as a shoddy pretense of wealthiness. But I really just like the function and young people don't know the difference. Nor the other (commnie) educators who come to work in tee shirts.Wearing a blazer around young people sets a tone for learning (whatever the condition or style of the thing) and I don't intend to blow another $1500 on a nice blazer now that I'm not making 6 figures anymore.

Last edited:

Shlomo

Reaction score
i'm a sucker for them. in fact, i'm having them done right now on a sweet italian polo blue blazer i just picked up. i've got a great tailor and he is charging $60 for both sleeves, including a slight shortening (shortening by itself on another jacket is $30). he's a good guy and i've been going to him for a long time, so he cuts me a break (that said, no, i'm pretty sure these are not hand-finished).
I have 2 suit jackets made to add working buttonholes what is your tailors info? Or do you know any tailors in the ny/nj area that can add working buttonholes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads