• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adding shoulder pads to an unstructured blazer?

sqsz

Reaction score
s it possible to add shoulder pads to a completely unstructured blazer? I have a pique cotton blazer that i really like as a casual option, but it has no fusing/pads/structure whatsoever. And if this is possible, will it look weird to have pads but no structure otherwise?
Thanks!

reidrothchild

Reaction score
It would look weird for the same reason that removing shoulder pads generally looks weird. The coat was designed with the absence of padding in mind. Adding some will likely throw the proportions off. Even if it were successful in the shoulders, it would look odd to have structured shoulders with the same rumpled, unstructured look through the chest and waste. Plus there's the undoubtedly high cost of the operation to consider. Unstructured blazers are awesome. Don't ruin yours.

sqsz

Reaction score
well i have narrow shoulders and it's also a cheap blazer with low armholes (which was what made me think of pads). Do you think this would be a really expensive experiment with not much hope of success?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
please don't even try. terrible idea.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend this. But for some reason I think I recall a thread about a guy who took a totally unstructured jacket and added canvas throughout to try to make it structured. I could be making this up though.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

s it possible to add shoulder pads to a completely unstructured blazer? I have a pique cotton blazer that i really like as a casual option, but it has no fusing/pads/structure whatsoever. And if this is possible, will it look weird to have pads but no structure otherwise?
Thanks!

No: Trying to change an RTW garment is plagued with scope for error. Enjoy what you have and indulge yourself in MTM if you do not like what is in the shops.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well i have narrow shoulders and it's also a cheap blazer with low armholes (which was what made me think of pads). Do you think this would be a really expensive experiment with not much hope of success?

Stupid idea

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You won't know how it will work or look until you try it. Stop by a tailor shop and tell him what you would like to do. Try the jacket on and just slip a pad under each shoulder and see what you think and if you want to pursue this. If the jacket is completely unlined he will have to make a covered pad. If it has lining the tailor will put the pad under the lining. This will be more work than the first option and probably cost more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads