• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adding Pleats to Pants

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can pleats be added to flat front suit pants? How much should it cost? Does it turn out well?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The extra fabric doesn't appear out of nowhere, and it would require major work to recut the pants. It could be done if the pants were too large, but would not be anywhere near to worth the effort and the cost.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Adding pleats to pants, if possible, would make them even tighter since you're folding the existing fabric on top of itself.

rabidawg

Reaction score
You could always add pleats using contrasting fabric. Then post pics.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't plan on much success.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Can pleats be added to flat front suit pants? How much should it cost? Does it turn out well?

Assuming you expect them to remain the same size, can't you visualize the mechanics of this and why it wouldn't work?

joz411no

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. I have a old pair of Liz Claiborne pants, velvety to the touch, (moleskin or something) and they've just developed a color and texture not possible today without spending well over $150 on a pair of pants. Since I wore them I've taken off 120lbs. I'm sure there's enough fabric for that. If you come across a tailor who says it can be done let me know.

dasai

Reaction score
For a slightly more productive tack, can double pleats be revamped into deep single pleats? How about reverse pleats into forward pleats? These, at least, don't seem as though they would require adding or subtracting any fabric...

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is sort of like asking if you can get ********* shortened.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
For a slightly more productive tack, can double pleats be revamped into deep single pleats? How about reverse pleats into forward pleats? These, at least, don't seem as though they would require adding or subtracting any fabric...

Double reverse pleats can be made into one large pleat. Converting reverse pleats to forward pleats (or vice versa) doesn't turn out very well because they are cut differently. I've tried it but they never turn out well. I don't believe that two forward pleats could be effectively combined into one pleat either. Converting reverse pleats into flat front is also done differently (but more easily) than converting forward pleats to flat front. The problem in all these cases is that the grain-line will be off.

dropout5

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
This is sort of like asking if you can get ********* shortened.

some of us just need it. don't hate the player, hate the game
wink.gif

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Assuming you expect them to remain the same size, can't you visualize the mechanics of this and why it wouldn't work?

the quality of questions on this forum keeps gettin more and more amusing

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VERY doubtful. Where do you expect the additional cloth to come from?

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joz411no
I was wondering the same thing. I have a old pair of Liz Claiborne pants, velvety to the touch, (moleskin or something) and they've just developed a color and texture not possible today without spending well over $150 on a pair of pants. Since I wore them I've taken off 120lbs. I'm sure there's enough fabric for that. If you come across a tailor who says it can be done let me know.

Not sure if this is serious or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads