• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adding padding to improve the fit of a jacket? MTM gone wrong?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I just had fitting on MTM jacket that seem to have gone way wrong and the fit is off throughout the jacket including being too large in the shoulders, chest, and back. The tailor wants to add padding to the back and shoulder blade area of the jacket to smooth out the back and fill out the jacket. I have never heard of this or have had any other tailor make such a suggestion and frankly this just sounds dumb.
eh.gif
Second opinions?

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's not unheard of though I've only considered it on RTW in the shoulder area and that's because my shoulders are a bit wonky.

If it's MTM, I would have thought alterations would be relatively minor, not stuffing socks in crevices.

R-H

Reaction score
Gain weight until the jacket fits better?
frown.gif

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you still have to pay full price on a jacket the service for a poorly measured jacket for you during the fittings, or were the measurements more something you took yourself and gave them?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Do you still have to pay full price on a jacket the service for a poorly measured jacket for you during the fittings, or were the measurements more something you took yourself and gave them?

I have not accepted the jacket at this point or paid for it beyond my deposit.

This jacekt was measured by the tailor and he made a pattern out of Canvas, and then he sent the pattern out to be made.

PS: Sorry no pictures as I don't have the jacket in my possesion.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I never like hearing stories where people pay full value on products out of obligation or otherwise on products that should have been correct the first time.

Sorry, I don't know enough about jacket constuction to answer about the padding. I hope it works out for you though, and hopefully can make the jacket work for you in a manner that's fair.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Ok, I never like hearing stories where people pay full value on products out of obligation or otherwise on products that should have been correct the first time.

works out for you though, and hopefully can make the jacket work for you in a manner that's fair.

I hate to see that too. Imay have made a bad choice in commissioning this suit, but I did stick to the golden rule of “Never leave a deposit larger then you are willing to lose.” So in the end I will be able to chock this one up to “**** happens” and move on if things don’t work out.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JeffsWood,

I am sorry to hear this. I can't offer any advice other than my opinion which is you shouldn't not accept his suggestion. It's not a down vest/ski jacket, it's sport coat.

It's stories like this that have frightened me from trying MTM (not that I have the money to do so).

Best of luck. I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
JeffsWood,

I am sorry to hear this. I can't offer any advice other than my opinion which is you shouldn't not accept his suggestion. It's not a down vest/ski jacket, it's sport coat.

It's stories like this that have frightened me from trying MTM (not that I have the money to do so).

Best of luck. I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

I have done MTM maybe a dozen times over the years. Most were done before I new much about suits and they worked out pretty good - fit was great even if the materials were not. I am now more into MTO as I am not hard to fit, and I find it better value and you know what you are getting.

For the most part I would suggest most people avoid MTM as lots can go wrong.

I have no plans of accepting this padding idea, but was wondering if anyone had actually heard of this being done. I thought it was rather funny suggestion of way to improve the fit of $1K+ suit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads