1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Elbow Patches to Worn-In Sweaters

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by krspdla, Jun 4, 2012.

1. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

Okay, so here's the situation:

I picked up the white Wings+Horns Tiger Fleece sweater in December, and used it heavily throughout the winter months. 5 months later I realized that the elbow patches were really wearing down quickly from excessive wear. One side is much more heavily worn than the other side, so it's probably a personal problem (I lean on things with my elbow a lot). Either way, I'm really interested in sewing on elbow patches to extend its life, but I have no idea how to approach this and so I'm seeking your help.

Firstly, would elbow patches even look good on this sweater?
    http://www.francesmay.com/assets/2011/10/05/wh-sweatshirt.jpg

What materials are elbow patches usually made of? Suede? Cotton? I have no clue.

Where would I get these materials? I tried a local Fabricland but I'm not sure if they have what I'm looking for.

Lastly, if I take the fabric to a tailor, would they cut it to size and sew it on for me? Is this a common job for them to do? How much would I expect to pay for all of this?

Sorry for the overload of questions- It's just something I want to get done in my spare time this summer to get it ready for next winter. I'm a student and don't have the money to be buying expensive sweaters every year. Thanks for reading!:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

3. robby redshoes

robby redshoes Member

Whoa that's really nifty. Great post.

4. Del-Toro

Del-Toro Senior member

Leather would likely work best. Something like what Margiela does shown in the pic. If you did it right (like had a tailor do it) it would probably turn out pretty cool.

[​IMG]

Another option is to get an invisible repair, like what you see done with denim. You would be able to see the stitching but it would still look cool, at least in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012