1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Adding belt loops to a suit an untailored

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Nov 30, 2004.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

Title says it all. Is there enough fabric from the unfinished end of the pants to create belt loops to put on pants that come with side adjusters?

2. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior Member

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but why would you want to? Or would you also remove the side-adjusters? [​IMG] MtB

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I'm not a suspenders guy. Doesn't it look odd having pants on without a belt?

Yes I'd remove the side adjusters. I'm not averse to just going with the beltless look if that is considered kosher, but I'm not going to wear suspenders. (I like suspenders a lot, but it just ain't me).

4. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior Member

I'm not sure if trousers with side adjusters are designed to be worn with suspenders. My initial thought would be that they're not and that the side-adjusters serve to keep the trousers in place, as a belt would. I think it would (thus) be perfectly acceptable to wear the pants without a belt since that's how they were intended to be worn.

I can be completely wrong here. If so, you're all more than welcome to set me straight.

MtB

5. tintin

tintin New Member

According to Flusser, you're only to wear suspenders sans belt loops. He states this is a rule without exception. From what I see in London...he's right. I do like the side tabs. Trousers look cleaner and appears to give my 5'9" a little more length. Plus, you don't see it much in the states. That's always a reason to do it.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

JN3, it would depend on how much fabric is left up inside the bottom of the pant legs. You will need 5 to (pref.) 7 pieces about 1-1/4" x 2-1/2", if my math is correct. So, if you can take a 1-1/4" strip off the top of the allowance and still have enough for the bottoms, I believe that should be enough.