• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adding a third button

cmp

Reaction score
I have a suit, which is a few years old and has a "low stance" 2 button closure. Otherwise, the cut of the suit is fine. Is it possible to turn the jacket into a 3 button simply by adding a button and button hole above the current top button? Will this mess up the jacket? It looks to me that a third button spaced as the current two buttons are would fall in just about the right place.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it depends on the "belly" of the lapel.

Most lapels aren't cut straight and instead have some "belly" added to them. For this reason, if you really wanted to convert your jacket, you'd have to have the extra material cut out.

And then there's the issue of the lapel roll. I'm sure you can do wonders with pressing, but if they're visibly pad-stitched you're going to have little pinpricks showing when you button the top button.

Classic

Reaction score
I had this done to a suit jacket that originated as a 2 button and it looks like it was always a 3 button.
Having no expertise in the matter, I took the suit (along with 2 others) to the tailor, and from the three, only one could be done.
In less then 2 weeks, I had a "new" suit. The tailor even changed the buttons so that they all matched.
Take the jacket to a tailor and see what they tell you.

Classic

Len

Reaction score
The problem with this alteration is that the collar, which regulates where the lapel actually rolls to, will shorten if you add a third button and simply try press the lapel to position. If there is fabric under the collar you might be able to lengthen it to alleviate the problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads