• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adding a **** to a dress shirt for cuff links

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any recommendations out there on a turning a normally cuffed dress shirt into one that can be used with cuff links?

I took a test shirt, cut a **** and carefully sewed in circles around the edge of the cut until I created a rim. It seems to have worked fine... will this come apart eventually, please let me know before I do this to any other shirts.

I like to take these small jobs on, but is this a job better left to professionals?

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask your tailor to stitch you a buttonhole. It is relatively cheap and easy.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt it still look funny as it doesnt turn back on itself?

K

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450

K

This kind of cuff is around. I have seen it called a "single cuff" & I think the proper name is a "link Cuff". But a true link cuff has some bulk to it and look very good IMO. It is a very traditional cuff, even it is rarely seen.

By adding a button hole you are creating a convertable cuff (a cuff that can be worn with a button or link). Not as nice a look in my opinion as true a "link cuff" as the cuff is going to have no structure to it.

If you want to wear links - go out and by some french cuff shirts or get some link cuffs shirts made - we all need more shirts anyway.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
This kind of cuff is around. I have seen it called a "single cuff" & I think the proper name is a "link Cuff". But a true link cuff has some bulk to it and look very good IMO. It is a very traditional cuff, even it is rarely seen.

By adding a button hole you are creating a convertable cuff (a cuff that can be worn with a button or link). Not as nice a look in my opinion as true a "link cuff" as the cuff is going to have no structure to it.

If you want to wear links - go out and by some french cuff shirts or get some link cuffs shirts made - we all need more shirts anyway.

Yes, I do need more french cuffs, but I have a few shirts that I absolutely love and are irreplaceable. I aviod wearing them in the most formal situations but I would love to. This seems a good compromise.

Also, regarding structure, I've noticed at times that the french cuff with a slimmer suit takes away from the line, espically with a lighter colored jacket. I think that the thinner cuff seems to look more natural to me with such a look.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450

K

The "link cuff" is the most formal and elegant of all cuffs.

It is a necessity for white tie.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Probably looks weird if the shirt wasn't originally made that way. Plus its too formal on "normal" dress shirts.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you should turn the inside portion of the sleeve placket inward. look at both a french cuff and a button cuff. you will see what I mean.
but then the cuff has to be partially removed and set..
Just add the buttonhole and call it a day.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or, you know, just wear your barrel cuffs like barrel cuffs.

Chouse

Reaction score
Just cut the button off and poke a hole in it with a letter opener.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Poke a hole in the button?
crazy.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood

Anyone got a pic of a link cuff? I'm having trouble visualizing it

K

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Any recommendations out there on a turning a normally cuffed dress shirt into one that can be used with cuff links?

I took a test shirt, cut a **** and carefully sewed in circles around the edge of the cut until I created a rim. It seems to have worked fine... will this come apart eventually, please let me know before I do this to any other shirts.

I like to take these small jobs on, but is this a job better left to professionals?

do you know someone who sews at home and has a machine that makes buttonholes? the home machine makes shirt style buttonholes. otherwise pay the tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads