1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

adding a hip pocket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brainchild, May 15, 2010.

1. brainchild

brainchild Senior member

I am in the market for a handful of mid-range RTW suits available as separates (as I have a 4" drop). I absolutely insist on several features, including DV jackets and FF trousers. Charles Tyrwhitt's offerings fit the bill (and I am impressed by functional cuffs and a floating canvas), but I am annoyed that all the trousers have only a single hip (rear) pocket. I am wondering whether a competent tailor would be able to add a second, and if so, how substantial I might expect to be his fee.

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

I am in the market for a handful of mid-range RTW suits available as separates (as I have a 4" drop). I absolutely insist on several features, including DV jackets and FF trousers. Charles Tyrwhitt's offerings fit the bill (and I am impressed by functional cuffs and a floating canvas), but I am annoyed that all the trousers have only a single hip (rear) pocket. I am wondering whether a competent tailor would be able to add a second, and if so, how substantial I might expect to be his fee.

You are quite right to demand this feature but it might be difficult and it is unlikely that enough material can be garnered from the garment. Ask the supplier if a piece of material 'suitable for any future repairs' might be supplied. Repairs should be the last thing in your mind but their might be sufficient to undertake this desirable change.

If it has cuffs then removing them might well provide sufficeint cloth.

I have no clue on costs but it should not be that expensive as it is an easy alteration.

3. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

If you like Tyrwhitt try TM Lewin

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Just be forewarned that working buttonholes means (in 99% of cases) that any adjustments to the sleeve length has to be done from the shoulder, which is not inexpensive. As well, anything above a $300 jacket will normally utilize a 'floating chest piece', since every jacket on earth (other than the rare unlined) utilizes some sort of 'canvas', where that canvas is glued or stitched.

This. TM Lewin is cheaper, has a bigger cloth / pattern selection and utilizes non-fused cuffs / collar.

5. jemcgarvey

jemcgarvey Well-Known Member

If they're not fused, then what do you call ripply lapels that have come unglued inside?

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Charles Tyrwhitt's offerings fit the bill (and I am impressed by functional cuffs and a floating canvas), but I am annoyed that all the trousers have only a single hip (rear) pocket.

If two front and one rear pocket are insufficient trouser storage, have you considered this?

[​IMG]

Note that this version fits a handgun, and is popular among English tailors.

- B

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

If they're not fused, then what do you call ripply lapels that have come unglued inside?

Fused = glued. I don't understand your post, please elaborate. [​IMG]

8. brainchild

brainchild Senior member

You are quite right to demand this feature but it might be difficult and it is unlikely that enough material can be garnered from the garment. Ask the supplier if a piece of material 'suitable for any future repairs' might be supplied. Repairs should be the last thing in your mind but their might be sufficient to undertake this desirable change.

If it has cuffs then removing them might well provide sufficeint cloth.

I have no clue on costs but it should not be that expensive as it is an easy alteration.

Good suggestion about asking for additional material. Would excess from the trouser hem be adequate for this purpose?

Thanks!

Just be forewarned that working buttonholes means (in 99% of cases) that any adjustments to the sleeve length has to be done from the shoulder, which is not inexpensive. As well, anything above a $300 jacket will normally utilize a 'floating chest piece', since every jacket on earth (other than the rare unlined) utilizes some sort of 'canvas', where that canvas is glued or stitched.

As I understand, "floating chest piece" means "full canvas construction". Am I mistaken?

9. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

As well, anything above a $300 jacket will normally utilize a 'floating chest piece', since every jacket on earth (other than the rare unlined) utilizes some sort of 'canvas', where that canvas is glued or stitched.

If it's glued then it's hardly 'floating' is it...

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

11. jemcgarvey

Fused = glued. I don't understand your post, please elaborate. [​IMG]

The lapels are ripply, no longer flat, and you can pull the front and back pieces of each lapel apart and it makes a tearing sound, as in brittle glue that has decayed.

12. Kazou

Kazou Senior member

TMLewin is also having a suit sale at the moment. They emailed this code to me for an extra 10% off . At checkout enter this code SUITS2 I got it yesterday and ends Monday at 9am UK time (or so they claim)

13. jemcgarvey

I actually love their ties and shirts... I wish the sale applied to Belgium...