• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Addicts: How do you browse SF?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just wondering how those of you who sit on SF for a good part of the day navigate the site. Personally I click New Posts every few minutes, and if the front couple of pages aren't that interesting, I go back a few days to see if I can answer any questions that are left hanging. I also check in with Secret Squirrel on occasion to see if there is any official business to attend to.

Personally, I think the New Posts link is the best way to browse the site, though it is sometimes full of stuff that I/you won't care about. In the new version of vBulletin (which we will be moving to shortly) each user can customize which subforums should be checked for new posts, so you can skip those that don't interest you.

So how do you do it?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New posts and if that doesn't turn anything up I check through Men's Clothing, Current Events, and General Chat, usually in that order.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Posts - unless I am looking for something specific, in which case I run a search from the advanced search windows.

Sidenote:
J, does the software allow the placement of "Display Posts" option in the quick search?
I have an example (watchuseek.com)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
New Posts - unless I am looking for something specific, in which case I run a search from the advanced search windows.

Sidenote:
J, does the software allow the placement of "Display Posts" option in the quick search?
I have an example (watchuseek.com)

I think that is in the new version.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
occasionally in a moment of leisure I'll jump over to buying and selling

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish to specify, my boxers.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I think that is in the new version.

Ah, I see. I cannot see anywhere where they list what software/version they use. Anyway, I just find it handier than going in to Advanced Search...

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying and selling is my first stop; then i start at the top and work through. With frequent visits to buying and selling. Am bound to score a free box of ties sooner or later.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Just jump around between the subfora.

Also click on my own profile a lot, select view more posts by me, and then go back to check whatever I have been posting in to see if there are any replies.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Just jump around between the subfora. Also click on my own profile a lot, select view more posts by me, and then go back to check whatever I have been posting in to see if there are any replies.
Good point. There will soon be a "My Threads" feature so you can easily check up on the topics you've posted on without too much hassle.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Good point. There will soon be a "My Threads" feature so you can easily check up on the topics you've posted on without too much hassle.

That would be great instead of having to subsrcribe to the threads or go to your profile.

I never use the new posts link. I just check into buying and selling and men's clothing and sometimes CE or general if there are threads of interest there.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

I have it set to auto-subscribe to any thread I post in. This is how I tend to browse the site at work, too: I just refresh User CP every so often, and then when I get some downtime I'll actually enter the subfora and browse threads.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tend to be very set in my ways - I go through the various forums in the following order: B&S, SW&D, MC, then the "general" forums from top to bottom. Then the other two "style" forums sometimes. I recently started experimenting with the new posts link and I think I'll start using that one as soon as I break my current habits. I just started reading and posting in the general sub fora in the last couple of months.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Every ten minutes or so clicking "New Posts" hoping for something interesting to turn up.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I start from Mens Clothing and work my way down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads