• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

addendum to the non-traditional shoes with jeans post

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up the following AEs mostly for use with denim, comments? I bought used ones because I figured they might be somewhat more distressed, read casual... what do you guys think?

c6_1.JPG

a4_1.JPG

hobo

Reaction score
I think I'd be better able to pass judgment if I could see the shoes being worn with jeans

familyman

Reaction score
I think both shoes will work out ok. The captoes are certainly a sturdy looking pair of shoes and that's what should make them work. Pics of said shoes with jeans would make it easier to determine their overall look.

wq1999

Reaction score
A close friend has the same brogues and wears them with jeans regularly. His are quite beat up, and have a nice antique look -- they look great!

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Drizzt, I saw a guy on the bus just today, on my way into work, who was wearing jeans with brogues much like that. It looked great. It was completely fortuitous, because everything else he was wearing looked like crap, but the brogues worked perfectly. If only he hadn't been wearing black socks with his brown brogues. Or maybe if his jeans didn't look like they were hemmed by Thom Browne.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think both will look great if you ignore your Men's Clothing section training and beat the hell out of them.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I think both will look great if you ignore your Men's Clothing section training and beat the hell out of them.

Yeah, I just bought some other AE ankle boots that seem like they would look good as well. I figure at ~100 or so for these 3 pairs of shoes, it's a fairly economical way to diversify my casual footwear haha.

mhaswell_632945513652980000_100_0168.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Drizzt, I saw a guy on the bus just today, on my way into work, who was wearing jeans with brogues much like that. It looked great. It was completely fortuitous, because everything else he was wearing looked like crap, but the brogues worked perfectly. If only he hadn't been wearing black socks with his brown brogues. Or maybe if his jeans didn't look like they were hemmed by Thom Browne.

BTW what do you guys think about charcoal socks with cordovan? Seems like it would be hard to get maroon colored socks, but would brown or navy be better?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
BTW what do you guys think about charcoal socks with cordovan? Seems like it would be hard to get maroon colored socks, but would brown or navy be better?

For my part, I think charcoal goes with almost everything. I actually like straight up gray (even as light as heather, sometimes) with maroon and other deep reds. Navy is good too, though. Brown, for me, depends on the particular shade. My $0.02!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMHO it would look fine. As long as the charcoal does not look almost black, that may look rather off.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Yeah, I just bought some other AE ankle boots that seem like they would look good as well. I figure at ~100 or so for these 3 pairs of shoes, it's a fairly economical way to diversify my casual footwear haha.

mhaswell_632945513652980000_100_0168.jpg

I love those.

familyman

Reaction score
I've always hated any zip up ankle boots. But those, those I love. Wow.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, where are you finding nice shoes for $33? Hook me up.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Man, where are you finding nice shoes for $33? Hook me up.

gotta be the e(vil)bay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads