• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ad Agency Interview - Attire Advice

TeeJayEe

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got an interview coming up in a few weeks at a notable ad agency in London. I won't name it but it's one of the more well known.

I'm seriously struggling on what to wear. I've been freelance for a few years so a little out of touch. The staff appear to be a bit of a mixed bag too, a fairly wide spectrum from what I'd call quite casual, to almost fully suited. The job is in account management.

I don't know whether to just go full suit and risk feeling too formal, but then I don't want to make the interview uncomfortable. Or contrast dress pants/blazer, sweater/shirt, tie/no tie. Or do I go suit without tie, but again, I can't help feel like that's a little too 'estate agency' rather than 'ad agency'?

I'm literally clueless here. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Sounds like you should wear a suit (and a tie, of course). Dressing up is appropriate for your interview if nothing else, and you might learn that you can wear more casual clothes after you start working.

Personally, I am comfortable and confident in a suit. Are you not? If you're afraid it would make you uncomfortable and awkward in your interview, then I think it would be fine to wear a sports coat/jacket and a tie, but not a full matching suit. However, the suit would be better.

Last edited:

TeeJayEe

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice.

I'm comfortable in a suit if the setting is right, I'm just not very good at judging what setting that might be, especially when it's a grey area. I mean if I was interviewing in a bank or a law firm, then I'd be suited no question, I just think it can feel a little odd if, as the interviewee, one is dressed more formally than the interviewer.

I'll go suit.

TeeJayEe

Reaction score
I was also considering the suit with "air tie", buttoned to the top. I'm incredibly slim (skinny as heck) and I pull it off, I'm just mildly concerned that the two guys at the top are well known, and well dressed. One rocks the air tie, the other, heavy framed tortoiseshell spectacles. I also wear heavy framed tortoiseshell spectacles. I feel by going in the above, I could inadvertently make quite an unfortunate spectacle of myself.

TeeJayEe

Reaction score
What on earth am I talking about, of course I need to wear a suit. Having had some time to think about it, suit indeed seems the only option.

So, navy suit, white shirt, burgundy/crimson tie?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What on earth am I talking about, of course I need to wear a suit. Having had some time to think about it, suit indeed seems the only option.

So, navy suit, white shirt, burgundy/crimson tie?

Perfect. London, so black shoes are even more of a must than usual.

Last edited:

TeeJayEe

Reaction score

Perfect. London, so black shoes are even more of a must than usual.

Oh completely.

Would a brogue be acceptable, or should I go for a plain captoe. Bearing in mind if the latter, I would need to purchase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads