• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acura MDX or RDX experience?

runner-guy

Reaction score
Okay, this is for a little further down the road, but the wife and I are trying for our first baby right now. We both drive pretty small cars right now, so I'd like something bigger. I'm looking at some SUV's and I really like the Acura MDX and RDX. I'd like to buy pre-owned (2007 or so). Anyone have any experience driving either one of these? I've read some reviews online, but just wanted to get more input.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
my mother drives an RDX in the winter and really likes it. Reliability has been top notch, the interior is nice, and it's a fun car to drive. Keep in mind it's a far different vehicle from the MDX which feels substantially bigger all around. It was too big for her liking, but the RDX is ideal. Both are superb vehicles, but be sure to give each one a test drive to see which fits your needs best.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Yeah, the MDX is definitely much bigger, but I don't know if we'll need something that big. Their reliability is supposed to be outstanding and that's one of the reasons I'm considering Acura, even though I live in the heart of anti-foreign car country.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sister has an RDX. My only complaint is the centre console design. There are far to many buttons and operating the GPS with a big spin wheel is awkward as hell.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife drives an RDX and it's been wonderful. It's only a couple of years old, but it's required nothing more than oil changes. I think it will be an excellent car in several years when we have children.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife drives an MDX and my neighbor has an RDX. Both are great cars. In ownership of the MDX since 2003, we have had zero mechanical problems. None. [knock on wood]
I agree the MDX is way bigger than the RDX and even with one baby, IMO it's nice to have the space for all the baby gear - stroller, diaper bag, pack 'n play (when going somewhere overnight), etc. Wanting more space is the one thing our neighbor (they have a 2 year old) has mentioned. We have 3 kids and the MDX is great for getting around town with lots of stuff, getting groceries, etc. It's still very maneuverable though -- it's not *big* like a Suburban. We have actually found that, for family trips, particularly those with our dog, that even the MDX isn't big enough, so we bought one of thouse Thule roof carriers.

I think with kids, you kind of start out needing lots of space for all the baby gear (until age 2-3), then you go for a few years where you don't need all the baby gear (until age 5 or so), then as they start doing stuff with friends, getting involved in soccer, baseball, lacrosse, Scouts, etc., you again need more space in the car. We went for a long time rarely using the 3rd row in the MDX; now as our oldest child is age 7 we seem to use it all the time shuttling our kids and their friends between soccer, Tai Kwon Do, baseball, etc.

To be honest, I'm a little bored by the MDX - I'd rather drive an X5 or a M-B GL. But, it works great for us (X5 has tiny cargo area, for example, and the GL's 3rd row access mechanism is archane).

runner-guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert
My wife drives an MDX and my neighbor has an RDX. Both are great cars. In ownership of the MDX since 2003, we have had zero mechanical problems. None. [knock on wood]
I agree the MDX is way bigger than the RDX and even with one baby, IMO it's nice to have the space for all the baby gear - stroller, diaper bag, pack 'n play (when going somewhere overnight), etc. Wanting more space is the one thing our neighbor (they have a 2 year old) has mentioned. We have 3 kids and the MDX is great for getting around town with lots of stuff, getting groceries, etc. It's still very maneuverable though -- it's not *big* like a Suburban. We have actually found that, for family trips, particularly those with our dog, that even the MDX isn't big enough, so we bought one of thouse Thule roof carriers.

I think with kids, you kind of start out needing lots of space for all the baby gear (until age 2-3), then you go for a few years where you don't need all the baby gear (until age 5 or so), then as they start doing stuff with friends, getting involved in soccer, baseball, lacrosse, Scouts, etc., you again need more space in the car. We went for a long time rarely using the 3rd row in the MDX; now as our oldest child is age 7 we seem to use it all the time shuttling our kids and their friends between soccer, Tai Kwon Do, baseball, etc.

To be honest, I'm a little bored by the MDX - I'd rather drive an X5 or a M-B GL. But, it works great for us (X5 has tiny cargo area, for example, and the GL's 3rd row access mechanism is archane).

Thanks for the info. I am leaning a toward the MDX due to more cargo space. I like the Volvo XC90 also.

Mauby

Reaction score
My gf had an MDX which I'd drive from time-to-time. Once I was caught in one those end-of-the-world type hailing sideways thunderstorms on the highway. People were pulling over on to the shoulder and this MDX was still going as if it were dry pavement out. I'm not an SUV guy myself but I was pretty impressed with it.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by runner-guy
Thanks for the info. I am leaning a toward the MDX due to more cargo space. I like the Volvo XC90 also.

Funny you should mention that. My brother has an XC90. I'd take it over the Acura any day.

Mblova

Reaction score
Audi and VW also make nice SUV's

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
I test drove a 2010 RDX the other day. Wasn't too impressed. Turbo lag was very noticeable - didn't find it as 'sporty' as the Acura is supposed to be. There is a pad on the right side of the driver's side that hits your knee and makes you put the seat back farther than you need to. The center console, while big, opens weirdly so that the passenger can't get at it. The navigation system is very hard to use and has too many buttons.

Just not enough zip in it to justify buying it over a RAV4, CRV or even an RX.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We were in the market for a cross-over type vehicle a few months ago. The wife drove the MDX, RDX, Volvo XC90 (T5), Infiniti FX35 and the BMW X3. She went the FX35. It's a little more spacious than the RDX in my opinion and it's noticably more powerful as well. She's loved it so far with no complaints.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads