Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Actors bulking up, talking sh**e

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by alliswell, Jun 22, 2009.

1. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

I'm not a body-builder by any means, but claims like this don't ring true to me: (from here)
    Am I wrong, or does the Guardian need a FTFY:

2. mgoose

mgoose Senior member

It's hard to know as I'm not familiar with the guy or his history, but it can happen. ie Ryan Reynolds had never worked out pre blade trilogy and when he did, he did it right with a trainer and nutritionalist and unlocked his genetic potential right away. A friend of mine first picked up weights at around 17,18 and he exploded and looked like a mini hulk. But even though he works out just as hard he's been the same size, give or take, for about 5 years now. It happens that way for a lot of ppl. When they first hit the gym they tend to see massive changes in body composition, the steroids usually come after they plateau from hitting the genetic wall. P.S. here's a good article about that http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...llywood_muscle

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Even juicing, he wouldn't gain 42 pounds of muscle mass in 5 weeks. Not even close.

4. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

Also likely is that the article just exaggerated the weight gained and the time it took.

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

a friend of a friend was the hollywood movie juice supplier of choice for years. diet and trainin g don't turn you into gerard butler in 300

6. user-name

user-name Well-Known Member

a friend of a friend was the hollywood movie juice supplier of choice for years. diet and trainin g don't turn you into gerard butler in 300

Right. You also have to consider how quickly they lose it. Case in point: Edward Norton in American History X.

Neither he nor any of the others got huge but that's the point - just a little something to get them to a good point for 6 months or whatever.

I think that Christian Bale was given a little juice for Batman Begins. Just suspicion.

7. Big A

Big A Senior member

I wouldn't bet Bale juiced for Batman - he was pretty big to begin with, and he's shown the discipline to both lose and gain massive amounts of weight (check out The Machinist for a startling example)

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Not a very appealing look for him.

9. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

I wouldn't bet Bale juiced for Batman - he was pretty big to begin with, and he's shown the discipline to both lose and gain massive amounts of weight (check out The Machinist for a startling example)

Didn't he shoot batman begins after the machinist? I'm not saying he was juicing, but he did gain a lot of weight.

According to wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Bale#2004

10. danilo

danilo Senior member

100lbs in 6 months [​IMG]

11. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior member

100lbs in 6 months [​IMG]

Exactly. Also, I've read that he has some permanent damage from the extreme weight loss/gain he went through for those roles. Whether it's true, and if so how much of it might be roid-related getting ready for Batman we'll never know.

12. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

100 lbs?????????????????????????????????????????

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttt.......

I gotta take a note or two.

13. Mimetic

Mimetic Member

It's hard to know as I'm not familiar with the guy or his history, but it can happen. ie Ryan Reynolds had never worked out pre blade trilogy and when he did, he did it right with a trainer and nutritionalist and unlocked his genetic potential right away. A friend of mine first picked up weights at around 17,18 and he exploded and looked like a mini hulk. But even though he works out just as hard he's been the same size, give or take, for about 5 years now. It happens that way for a lot of ppl. When they first hit the gym they tend to see massive changes in body composition, the steroids usually come after they plateau from hitting the genetic wall. P.S. here's a good article about that http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...llywood_muscle
    There is truth in what this guy says. Actors don't do roids (as far as I know, could very well be wrong!) for a number of reasons, they can cause pimples, skull growth, hair loss and a number of other things, which means actors simply will not use them. Don't forget that these guys have professional trainers, are dosed up to the eyeballs on supplements, such as protein, creatine, l-glutamine, nitric-oxide (pre-workout), you name it. They also have most meals prepared and perfectly monitored diets, and a team of people catering to their every fitness need. Also, some 'platues', like the one your friend had, can be fixed through bulking, changing up your workouts, etc. Edit: Its worth noting that Ryan Reynolds already had a decent body before Blade Trinity, if you watch Van Wilder you'll see. He wasn't HUGE in Blade Trinity (though he was definitely big, and looked amazing IMO), but very ripped, and alot of the shots where you see him had lighting specifically set up to show it off. Edit 2: Cool article btw man, thanks for posting

14. why

why Senior member

STOP POSTING PLEASE...you're clueless.

15. Mimetic

Mimetic Member

STOP POSTING PLEASE...you're clueless.

Why be rude man?