• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Action back?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I am just wondering if someone could explain what an "action back" is. I was looking at some of the tweed lambourne jackets on STP which are now down to under $200 and they look kind of interesting, except I hesitate due to the description that states the jackets have an "action back for better movement".

Can anyone explain?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They probably have a fold where the shoulder meets the back to allow for more movement with your arms raised (common on shooting jackets for this reason), and sometimes a similar pleat in the center of the back. They often (always?) have a half belt, as well. I have one cord jacket with these details--it's nice so long as the jacket is very casual.

A bi-swing shoulder, from Ott's engineered garments jacket:

eg_jk_13all.jpg

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a great example of one on the train a couple days ago in a heavy dark green tweed that wasn't as extreme in detail as the one above. It had pleats over both shoulder blades and a non-functional half belt sewn directly onto the back. It would make a great casual jacket for cool spring or fall days.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Hmm...that makes me a little hesitant. I wonder if I can pull that off at work...

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should add that the Lambourne version will be much cleaner than that cotton EG jacket. I've seen some very sharp versions of this, but it is technically a country detail.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
Hmm...that makes me a little hesitant. I wonder if I can pull that off at work...
If you work at a jacket and tie kind of place, I would say the answer is no. If you are wearing a jacket because you like to but your workplace is basically casual, then an action back is fine. I can wear whatever I want to work on most days, but I always wear a coat and tie and usually a suit. I have only worn a jacket with an action back on Friday or the last day before a holiday weekend.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
If you work at a jacket and tie kind of place, I would say the answer is no. If you are wearing a jacket because you like to but your workplace is basically casual, then an action back is fine.

I can wear whatever I want to work on most days, but I always wear a coat and tie and usually a suit. I have only worn a jacket with an action back on Friday or the last day before a holiday weekend.

My office is fairly casual unless we are seeing clients. I generally wear at least a tie and blazer every day, but at least one of my bosses generally wears whatever he feels like when we do not have meetings or the like.

I like the jacket on STP, but the action back is sort of a strike against it...it would be outweighed if it had a ticket pocket...

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
I like the jacket on STP, but the action back is sort of a strike against it...it would be outweighed if it had a ticket pocket...
Everyone is different, but to me, an action back and a ticket pocket both push in the same direction rather than cancel each other out. Since ticket pockets are now pretty common, I would say the action back is much more obvious.

See if you can talk yourself into buying it for weekends. If it makes it to the office on a Friday, nobody will die. I only have the cords and moleskins from Lambourne (also via STP) but the quality is very good and I would exoect the same from the coat. You won't be getting a fully canvassed bespoke jacket, but I bet the tweed is nice and $200 is probably good value if it fits.

Ed13

Reaction score
I have an action back, Lambourne jacket from STP. It has double vents with no half belt. It is a heavy, course tweed. I wear mine with moleskins and cords. More of a casual, weekend jacket or Friday/casual office attire.

I have been very happy wth the purchase so far at deep discount on STP.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ed13
I have an action back, Lambourne jacket from STP. It has double vents with no half belt. It is a heavy, course tweed. I wear mine with moleskins and cords. More of a casual, weekend jacket or Friday/casual office attire.

I have been very happy wth the purchase so far at deep discount on STP.

Thanks-- that is very helpful info.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads