• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Act of Valor (2012) - Upcoming Navy SEAL movie

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally a new movie about modern warfare that looks pretty good. Been waiting for something like this ever since Black Hawk Down.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks pretty cool. Also a pretty snazzy recruiting tool.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
but can that top THIS?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A Fictional story compared to a real situation is like comparing apples to oranges.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think it will top Black Hawk Down though. To be honest, I think this looks rather cheezy indeed. Did you not see the Hurtlocker? - I'd place it right at the top next to Black Hawk Down in the list of greatest movies about modern warfare.

hurt locker was a giant pile of flaming **** in terms of military authenticity, whereas blackhawk down has been generally agreed upon by military types to be a more-or-less accurate depiction of combat.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it will top Black Hawk Down though. To be honest, I think this looks rather cheezy indeed. Did you not see the Hurtlocker? - I'd place it right at the top next to Black Hawk Down in the list of greatest movies about modern warfare.

hurt locker was a giant pile of flaming **** in terms of military authenticity, whereas blackhawk down has been generally agreed upon by military types to be a more-or-less accurate depiction of combat.

Interesting (and oh-so-colourfully-described). I had no idea. Learn something new everyday, as they say. Nevertheless, I still like the film, just the tension factor I guess. I doubt any movie can boast being realistic in every detail. Probably ignorant of me, but I hope at least some parts of the Hurtlocker were close to reality.

It's not a matter of being realistic in every detail. It's a matter of portraying attitudes and behaviors among soldiers as commonplace that would not be tolerated among 99% of units. Jarhead and Generation Kill also do this and thus fall into the same category that jarude aptly names above.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hated the Hurt Locker. The whole idea of a guy who "follows his own rules" and ignores all safety procedures because he is a "loose cannon" is pretty played out by now. I spent most of that movie rolling my eyes.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Not tolerated among 99% of units". Blimey, makes me rethink the whole Hollywood portrayal of any particular war or conflict. Do soldiers really get offended (or upset) when they see those movies? Just wondering. However, it is probably a tad similar to the way we find it annoying when Americans use "top of the morning to ye laddy" when portraying Irish men (I mean, NO ONE says that).

Rethinking Hollywood portrayals of war and conflict is definitely a good idea. And yes, soldiers (or marines, sailors, etc.) often get upset when they see these portrayals though they often consider them inevitable. Movies tend to either deify or crucify the military and neither is helpful. Much of what made Blackhawk Down good was that it generally avoided either of those two inaccurate extremes.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the film about the bin laden mission, even though it was written/directed by the hurt locker team - I have high hopes. I didn't think hurt locker was bad, but I wasn't amazed either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads