• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Acrylic finisher for shoes

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
I get my shoes shined by a guy on Wall Street. After he's done giving them a spit-shine, I see him apply this shiny, shimmering clear coat of...something. It makes the shoes look amazingly shiny. (I know that the super-shiny look isn't big on this forum, but I've gotten tons of great comments from the "lay folk", including women). He didn't want to tell me what it was, but a couple of days ago one of the girls behind the counter told me it was a type of acrylic - the kind new shoes are coated in to give them that "fresh from the factory" shine.

So I googled it and found this:

http://www.foresupplyco.com/productDetail.asp_Q_catID_E_48_A_subCatID_E_55_A_productID_E_2199_A_ANGELUS_HiGloss_Acrylic_Finisher_E_ANGELUS_HiGloss_Acrylic_Finisher

Angelus Acrylic Finisher is a high gloss top finish for use on all smooth leathers. It is a water based finish which when dry gives a non-cracking, flexible, water resistant finish to leather. It can be applied by almost any method you choose.
Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this stuff? I assume that it's not bad for the leather...is it?

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

http://www.foresupplyco.com
Angelus Acrylic Finisher is a high gloss top finish for use on all smooth leathers. It is a water based finish which when dry gives a non-cracking, flexible, water resistant finish to leather. It can be applied by almost any method you choose.
Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this stuff? I assume that it's not bad for the leather...is it?
Not only do new shoe often have an acrylic wax on them, many leathers come to the maker with an acrylic wax finish. Often that finish is lost in the making process and the maker must replace it to bring the shoes to the state the leather was in when it was "on the table"...just because that's what the customer was expecting when they chose the leather.

The finish will not harm the leather and will gradually flake away...so subtly that you won't even know it is happening.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.