• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acne went away while traveling?

CarllraC

Reaction score
I was traveling for a month overseas, and the acne I have about my eyebrows nearly completely went away. There were still some reddish bumps, but I imagine those would take some time to heal. The bad stuff was completely gone, only to come back within 2 days of my return, and I'm trying like hell to figure out why. I mean, we were backpacking so I didn't even shower or wash every day. A few times I went 3 days without showering.

Could it have been my diet? I ate a lot more vegetables and cured meats, and probably a ton less hydrogenated oils and saturated fats.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Jl24

Reaction score
Do you usually eat fast food? What's your usual diet like?

coatandthai

Reaction score
I've often wondered whether showering and washing too frequently actually stimulates sebum secretion. Also, warm weather keeps pores open (and unclogged) and sunshine seems to help too.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where exactly did you go?

When I was a teenager, I found that my skin improved when I moved to cooler drier areas. (from Hong Kong to London, UK)...

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How warm do you keep the temperature in your house or apartment? Too warm and it will worsen acne problems. And like the others said, diet can also play a role.

Without knowing more specifics, I would recommend that you wash your face once or twice a day with a good cleanser (derma e products are great), keep the temperature in your place not more than two or three degrees above 70, and stay away from fast food. If you've already got those bases covered, then maybe you can give us more details to help pinpoint the cause of the problem.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CarllraC
I was traveling for a month overseas, and the acne I have about my eyebrows nearly completely went away. There were still some reddish bumps, but I imagine those would take some time to heal. The bad stuff was completely gone, only to come back within 2 days of my return, and I'm trying like hell to figure out why. I mean, we were backpacking so I didn't even shower or wash every day. A few times I went 3 days without showering.

Could it have been my diet? I ate a lot more vegetables and cured meats, and probably a ton less hydrogenated oils and saturated fats.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Saturated fats aren't necessarily bad, the hydrogenated oils are though. Also, was this a place where they don't put sugar in everything? Sugar will contribute to breakouts. Diet certainly plays a crucial role too. Balancing essential ***** acids and stuff should certainly cut down on the oiliness of your skin.

I've heard that seabuckthorn soap works quite well too. I am going to try some here shortly.

Originally Posted by coatandthai
I've often wondered whether showering and washing too frequently actually stimulates sebum secretion. Also, warm weather keeps pores open (and unclogged) and sunshine seems to help too.

This was disproven over 50 years ago by dermatologists, even though hair stylists still try to push this idea.

CarllraC

Reaction score
I visited places about the same temperature as here. Drier though.

Temp is 72 degrees.

I normally eat a fair bit of processed food, some fast food, and few vegetables. You might say my diet isn't real clean. On the trip I ate a lot of cured meats, many more vegetables, and a lot of bread.

Oh yeah, I also drank a butt load of water...could that be it? Because I know when I got to Italy from Algeria, my acne started up again...and I wasn't drinking nearly as much water. Actually it's kind of interesting why I wasn't, you see, Italy has no ******* drinking fountains, and bottled water is expensive, and when you get it, it's cold and therefore prevents chugging. Whereas in Algeria you can get luke warm 1.5L bottles for like 10 cents (but you can't drink the tap water)

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CarllraC
you see, Italy has no ******* drinking fountains,
butbut.gif

Rome is famous for having drinking fountains with the best water in the world on every corner. Naples has them at a fair rate as well. I don't remember about Florence, but there were at least a few in each of the small towns on the Amalfi Coast. Didn't look in Milan. Palermo might not have had as many as the cities farther north, which makes sense because I don't think the Roman acqueducts ever reached Sicily.

Sure, none of the drinking fountains are made of aluminum with plastic push-bar dispensers molded with little fingers to tell you to "push here," but those usually have chemicals that make the water taste like crap anyway.
Drinking_From_A_Fountain.jpg

Google Images

Tom

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best natural cure for acne, diet aside, I believe is to sweat it out... I'm talking cardio, saunas, tantric sex, whatever...

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
water intake plays a major role in how clear my skin is. The more i drink, the better my skin gets.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The same thing happens to me when I go home for extended periods of time, like holiday breaks. I think it may have to do with how much sleep I get.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
This was disproven over 50 years ago by dermatologists, even though hair stylists still try to push this idea.

What was disproven? At least one part of his assertion is true.

streetfighter

Reaction score
I really think it has to do with showering and not washing your face. I noticed that when I stopped washing my face with cleansers, my face cleared up. So essentially all those anti-acne cleaners were actually causing me to have acne go fig.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads