• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acne Ace Jeans

potatocakes

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for a new pair of jeans. I always find it hard to find a pair that fits right as I'm 6' 4" and a slim build. I've recently discovered Acne Jeans and being a Scandinavian brand they have longer legs than the average jean. I like the 'Ace Cash' fit (pictured) and wondered if anyone else has owned Acne denim.

How do they wash, do they fade, shrink/stretch etc? I've read in older threads that then tend to stretch out and the black wash is overdyed so it fades through to a greyish/blue. However I'm not sure if they've changed since then, as the Ace fit are new for this season.

Thanks for your help and if anyone has any other recommendations for tall-fitting jean brands that would be welcome!
smile.gif

Obscured

Reaction score
Haven`t owend a pair of Acne jeans so far, but I think every raw denim will shrink about
1/2 - 1 inch, after a wash. For other options you should have a look on Nudies, Naked and Famous, A.P.C and Dior, if you want to drop the money
wink.gif

Btw: What boots do you wear, looking really good?

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
I've got two pairs of the Acne Ace jeans. I'm a lot like you in terms of body composition - quite skinny and pretty tall (155 lbs., 6'5"). They're probably the best-fitting jeans I've owned in a long time.

As for your questions:
1. They're going to stretch out in the waist quite a bit. I've noticed that they actually feel pretty loose, and sit pretty low once I've worn them for a few weeks or so.
2. If you wash them in cool/cold water with something like Woolite Dark, they won't shrink too much and you won't lose too much of the color. However, what I've noticed is that after washing them in cool/cold water, they actually fit better than after having worn them for a couple weeks - they shrink down to a somewhat snug fit after washing, but stretch back to a pretty comfortable state fairly rapidly.
3. When Acnes black jeans fade they tend to look kind of grey-ish (not sure about the blue, though, I've never noticed that). I've noticed that phenomenon a bit with the Ace cash, though it does seem slightly less pronounced. I'm not sure if Acne's changed the techniques they use, if anything.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Out of curiosity, potatocakes, what size are you wearing?

potatocakes

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm not specifically after raw denim, just a brand that fits nicely for taller men. Acne seem pretty consistently long across all of their models. I've tried on Nudies in a 34 leg and they're a bit short, although they do stock some 36" online.

As for the boots they're by a brand called Poste. Pretty good quality, made in Italy and they were only £130 which I think is good value for an Italian boot.

I've heard about the stretching of Acne jeans before, I'm guessing that's down to the elastic in them. I tried on a 32 waist, 34 leg and they fit nice and snug. I'm not sure if I could get into a 30 waist and I always wear a belt so the stretching of the waist doesn't concern me too much.

How are they quality wise? Obviously it's not Japan Selvedge, but I'd expect good things from a £150+ pair of jeans.

Thanks again for your help.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

How are they quality wise? Obviously it's not Japan Selvedge, but I'd expect good things from a £150+ pair of jeans.

In terms of quality, I think they're fine. The're nice and soft after a few wears, and I've never had a tear or a crotch blow-out or anything like that. Prior to the current pair(s) I'm wearing, I had another pair of Acnes that I wore for a few years, and I never once had a rip in them.

TECTEO

Reaction score
Can any Acne Ace Cash/Raw owners comment on the thigh/knee/leg opening? Or point me in the right direction?
I realize these are going to be be tight, but I want to make sure I actually fit in them.

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own any raw, but I do own a Max Cash, and then an Overdyed Ace, Chalk Ace, and Nelson Ace.

The Ace is one of my favorite cuts of denim that I've ever tried. They are definitely slim-skinny, but I love the taper, and I love the way they don't bag at the knees. They're also really comfortable through the thighs despite being slim. They stack really nicely, but you also won't ruin them if you have them hemmed. They look great with boots, sneakers, or a lace-up. I really can't recommend them enough.

You can get product measurements on the Ace Cash here: http://www.mrporter.com/product/411317

potatocakes

Reaction score
After buying the jeans in the OP I've got to say they're the best black denim I've ever owned. They fit perfectly without any alterations and they're not too tight but not too loose either. I have size 11 feet and have no problem getting them through the leg opening.

You have to remember they are elasticated as well, so they well stretch out a little and then shrink to the original size when you wash them.

I also tried on some Saint Laurent Paris denim and they fit far too tight compared to the Ace Cash.

TECTEO

Reaction score
I don't own any raw, but I do own a Max Cash, and then an Overdyed Ace, Chalk Ace, and Nelson Ace.

The Ace is one of my favorite cuts of denim that I've ever tried. They are definitely slim-skinny, but I love the taper, and I love the way they don't bag at the knees. They're also really comfortable through the thighs despite being slim. They stack really nicely, but you also won't ruin them if you have them hemmed. They look great with boots, sneakers, or a lace-up. I really can't recommend them enough.

You can get product measurements on the Ace Cash here: http://www.mrporter.com/product/411317
Thanks for the good advice. I had a chance to try on a pair of max cash today, the material is quite nice. Good taper from the knee down, but it still had room in the thigh. I'm guessing the Ace's are going to fix that.

potatocakes

Reaction score
Ace have a higher rise (it's more a mid-rise) where as the Max have a low-rise if that helps.

supper

Reaction score
Someone knows smth about quality of Acne Max Cash jeans? I can have them for 115usd, like DS, worn 3-4 times.

skiam

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of what the Ace black jeans look after a few months of wear and wash?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads