ACL POP-Up Flea Market

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by edubs01, Nov 18, 2009.

1. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

I think some criticism is for anything. I have always believed that self awareness is one of the most admirable qualities and oftentimes when you deal with things sf related there seems to be an utter lack of irony and self awareness. I love me some good Americana and am all for people being excited about the Made in USA trend and I am big on supporting artisans, but I just as head to toe Armani or head to toe D&G can seem douchey, I also think head to toe Americana can be too costumey. After all people are dressing in the style of the blue collar working man, who only wore these things often times, because they were a) comfortable and work appropriate and b) cheap. The stuff is still comfortable, but seeing as most people who buy the stuff probably work in offices and spend time on e-forums such as this its arguable whether it's work appropriate and it sure as heck ain't cheap. So why dress up like the average working man when you are in fact either a white collar man(i consider a lot of the creative white collar folk too, because they most often work in offices on computers)? Is this world so devoid of masculinity and authenticity that people will pay a premium to pay period dress up? I don't think it's a bad thing, but just something I couldn't help, but think about when I was there.

Most of them probably dreaming of living an 'authentic' life away from their desk job... The Grass is always greener they say

2. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

And to say everyone there looked the same, guess none of you are part of niche groups of interest... Ever been to a hardcore show? 90% of the people are dressed very similarly..

3. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I swear, there are some people, good people and well intentioned as they may be, who just do not understand the internet.

4. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    +1 and I think I am one of those people...lol

the "prep" thing might be the ticket. The Goat wanted to do that for spring but I shot that down fast.
    Cuba circa 1950's resort is are theme so skinny pant people beware.

I have to say whether people looked a like or not it's nice to see a group of people looking good and taking pride in their apperence.

5. ruben

ruben Senior member

Everyone was dressed the same. Everyone sold the same thing. Oxford and gingham shirts. Desert boots and wingtips. PBR and Yuengling. What distinguishes Gitman from McNairy from Wolf v. Goat from RRL from J. Crew?

I think the No Mas stuff is brilliantly done. Billykirk had the best presence, filling custom orders for bracelets and cardcases, doing something more than just giving out beer. "Get Handsome" was a terrible line to market the showcase.

I'm cynical, but the flea market vended a level of homogeny that is opposite to the goal of fashionable expresion.

I see where you are coming from, but isn't this the story with every trend?
    There's tons of people doing, and celebrating the same thing both here and on the Men's Clothing side.

Plus, have any of the people responsible for this whole Americana trend (that's the agreed upon name correct?) ever said or acted like it was something superior to fashion?

^ Pix are good.

Went this afternoon.

Many beautiful things. Liked Olch & Spade & Hillside ties esp.

But the earnestness of the Americana style depresses me. There is pleasure in the stuff, and I like the artisanal/USA made focus, but a great earnestness & lack of wit in many of the tastemakers and their adherents. Jack Spade was the exception, but a lonely one.

This is spot on.

I have no doubt that there we some people who looked silly at the pop-up-flea-market, just as plenty of the posters here do, just as so many trads on AAAC do.
    It's all about earnestness and the way you carry yourself. It's why everyone loaths that "WASP 101" blog (not to pick on the guy, or encourage the E-pettiness that people engage in, his name just comes up a lot).
    Ultra-expensive throwback workwear targeted at non-working people is ridiculous, but it can stil be cool and good-looking.

It's also why hate all the broad, snarky criticism that is all over the men's style section of the internet.
    Why is the Styleforum Streetwaer&Denim aesthetic so much better than what these ACL folks wear?
    and why is that any better than what "hipsters" wear?
    and why do they all look so similar to me?

I wonder what will be after workwear next year?

Red wings in gq = gig is up

There's obviously a ton of people just latching on because it's trendy, but I really hope that the people at the center of all this are in it for the long haul, and that they win some converts.

Isn't that the whole point?
    You buy the quality, USA-made $200 OCBD/chambray/leather-thing because you expect to still be wearing it in ten years, otherwise you'd just get the equivalent from Target for 1/5th the price.

I know, as someone who works in the skilled trades (and who could probably wear much of this to work without looking out-of-place), there's been a huge uptick in people interested in learning skilled trades, and more appreciation for well-made stuff in general.
    They may be motivated by trends, but all the ones I've met seem since.

6. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior member

You buy the quality, USA-made $200 OCBD/chambray/leather-thing because you expect to still be wearing it in ten years, otherwise you'd just get the equivalent from Target for 1/5th the price.

Let's be honest here. How many of the people who showed up to this event will be wearing those very same boots in, say, 5 years? Probably not that many, either because workwear will have been replaced by another trend or because they'll grow tired of them. For the majority, they/we buy clothes because of tastes and trends, not function (despite the poor attempts at self justification that I keep reading). That's a big difference in this context, whether you like it or not. If I'm not making a living cutting trees, I probably won't buy lugger boots for the rest of my life, because I won't need to, and because my tastes will most likely change. And I know for sure I'm not buying clothes so that I can give them to my kids in 20 years (another weird argument that pops now and then).

I don't have any problem with the trend itself, some of it looks good, most of it I find boring and uninspired, but it's the entire argumentation that comes with that upsets me.

Anyway, that doesn't have much to do with this thread, so I'll stop now.

7. Razele

Razele Senior member

Some good posts ^

I think that it's been a trend with people from blogs sounding silly when they post here, hyrcollective first now ACL.

I don't own a single piece of workwear except some uber slim Edwin bucklebacks that aren't really workwear, so I'm not on the wagon.

I think it's going to stick around for awhile, especially of the RNB gets revalued and the dollar devalues more, making made in America even more cheap, then peak oil making made in Asia way too expensive again.

Also with the worsening economic climate
    going forward fashion is going to be pretty
    conservative and slow.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

That ACL fellow looks like he just started his assistant office position at some suburban Bank of America.

9. breakz

breakz Senior member

I can see why you give an air of arrogance on this thread, and this was after having met you at your booth yesterday! when someone gives you a compliment (as i did yesterday at your booth)...a simple thank you would suffice... commenting back that you have a several hundred thousand hits or whatever blah blah blah hits to your blog or how your blog is superior to others since you now will have a "store" is just not becoming. um, and no...i don't "live" on this message board.

lolol

If this guy's telling the truth...well another example of why I don't read your blog!

10. jon bones

jon bones Senior member

i'm... not sure what's going on this thread but my experiences at the ACL:

went in with a few friends, high as a kite

met mike at epaulet, super nice guy. bought a burgundy ocbd that fits like a glove and looks great with that bit of sheen to it.

met nathan and lloyd over at farinellis, also very cool. drank a shot of tequila and bought a wolf vs got shirt in red tattersll. DAMN these shirts are built well.

will post fit pics of the wvg shirt today, i forgot the epaulet shirt in ny (on vacation in kentucky right now [​IMG] )

11. KingLeer

KingLeer New Member

I thought that the flea was a positive place with people representing what it is they like. I'm not sure why all the negativity, but everyone I talked to in there was genuine and nice.

I think the look of 'workwear/americana' is something that can stick around, however it might change a bit or evolve; a pair of work boots might get old to some but the whole essence will stick around I believe. Hey, denim never goes out of style!

12. spudnik99

spudnik99 Senior member

Clothes are just things. You either like something enough to buy it or you don't. What's the big deal.

13. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Clothes are just things. You either like something enough to buy it or you don't. What's the big deal.

The utterly rational nature of your comment makes me question your presence here [​IMG]

14. FiveFiveFive

FiveFiveFive Senior member

I won't knock anyone on a style forum for examining the origins/significance of this event, although in my simple mind, it was just a room full of people selling clothes.

Here's what I got out of this event: The Wings+Horns varsity is 10 times cooler than I thought, and I already thought it was really cool.

15. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

it was just a room full of people selling clothes.

lol

Selling similar clothes to a group of people interested in said clothes. How dare they!