1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ACL POP-Up Flea Market

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by edubs01, Nov 18, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

It was as if Pepper LaBeija decided to do a tribute to Cone Mills.

Mauro's boys were nice.

lefty

2. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    I hope they were good! Did you have a drink with them?

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

There were drinks? Never offered to me. I take back all the nice things I said.

lefty

4. Mauro

those mother fuckers.

I might have to fire them. well maybe just one of them and they can pick who has to walk.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

That too harsh. Just send me a bottle of whatever they were handing out and all is forgiven.

lefty

6. Mauro

ok, that can be arranged.

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

To ensure it arrives undamaged feel free to wrap a pair of the MWCxF jeans around it. Size 34 should do it.

lefty

8. Mauro

now you are pushing it. I would rather fire Lloyd.

9. blank

blank Senior member

Everyone was dressed the same. Everyone sold the same thing. Oxford and gingham shirts. Desert boots and wingtips. PBR and Yuengling. What distinguishes Gitman from McNairy from Wolf v. Goat from RRL from J. Crew?

I think the No Mas stuff is brilliantly done. Billykirk had the best presence, filling custom orders for bracelets and cardcases, doing something more than just giving out beer. "Get Handsome" was a terrible line to market the showcase.

I'm cynical, but the flea market vended a level of homogeny that is opposite to the goal of fashionable expresion.

10. Jimmyleaf

Jimmyleaf Well-Known Member

Very much agree with Blank 100%...

11. dougie

dougie Senior member

As do I. The whole thing made me feel really weird.

12. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Post your hauls...

13. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

Everyone was dressed the same. Everyone sold the same thing. Oxford and gingham shirts. Desert boots and wingtips. PBR and Yuengling. What distinguishes Gitman from McNairy from Wolf v. Goat from RRL from J. Crew? I think the No Mas stuff is brilliantly done. Billykirk had the best presence, filling custom orders for bracelets and cardcases, doing something more than just giving out beer. "Get Handsome" was a terrible line to market the showcase. I'm cynical, but the flea market vended a level of homogeny that is opposite to the goal of fashionable expresion.
    This is on point. CHCM had some knitwear which was good to look at, but the prices were ridiculous. There was definitely a lot of nice stuff, just a lot of it felt the same after a bit. Regardless, I picked up a tanner belt in the natural color. Was only able to go a couple of hours before it ended, but I am glad I didn't spend any more more. Living in NYC is f'in dangerous for the bank account.

14. mwilliamspr

mwilliamspr Member

Everyone was dressed the same. Everyone sold the same thing. Oxford and gingham shirts. Desert boots and wingtips. PBR and Yuengling. What distinguishes Gitman from McNairy from Wolf v. Goat from RRL from J. Crew?

I think the No Mas stuff is brilliantly done. Billykirk had the best presence, filling custom orders for bracelets and cardcases, doing something more than just giving out beer. "Get Handsome" was a terrible line to market the showcase.

I'm cynical, but the flea market vended a level of homogeny that is opposite to the goal of fashionable expresion.

This is how I feel about fora and the *most* of the people contained within.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

At a certain point I just couldn't tell one retailer/manufacturer from another and I felt like I was in the finale of The Thomas Crown Affair but instead of bowler hats everyone was wearing flannel plaid.

lefty

16. blank

blank Senior member

Yes, I actually thought this comment you made:

It was kind of funny with everyone looking as if they were on their lunch break from the mill.

Put it better than i did. One guy was walking around with something like a chambray apron and tools. Red Wings don't make you a blacksmith.

17. mwilliamspr

mwilliamspr Member

"One guy was walking around with something like a chambray apron and tools. Red Wings don't make you a blacksmith."

This was Kirk from Billykirk who was making wallets and other leather goods. Critiquing on a message board does not make you an expert in anything.

18. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

I wasn't there, and I can see how this might be a take away, but I also think that the idea of fashionable expression is pretty broad. The flea was a microcosm, aimed a subset of already likeminded people, who are inclined to a certain aesthetic. As in a any group, there will be some whose takes, or "twists", on the central theme--in this case workwear and Americana--will set them apart, while others will end up more homogenized. This is true for just about any "look" or style, whether it's "trad" or "goth ninja" or surf/skate. The flea is just right on the curve right now, so it's getting lots of play. I'm not trying to argue your point, and I'm not sure I have an answer to your (hypothetical?) questions--just dropping my two cents.

This is how I feel about fora and the *most* of the people contained within.
    Really? And you showed up in this thread just to let us know this? I'm sure you're not talking about me, so I don't take offense, but if you've already made up your mind, why are you checking in, anyway? You've done an awesome job w/ ACL and the flea, etc, etc. Why come in here and stir the pot w/ those who happen to not like your steez? You can't win, and you just end up looking like an ass to people like me, who happen to be inclined to like what you do.

19. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

Very much agree with Blank 100%...

As do I. The whole thing made me feel really weird.

This is on point. CHCM had some knitwear which was good to look at, but the prices were ridiculous. There was definitely a lot of nice stuff, just a lot of it felt the same after a bit.

At a certain point I just couldn't tell one retailer/manufacturer from another and I felt like I was in the finale of The Thomas Crown Affair but instead of bowler hats everyone was wearing flannel plaid.

lefty

Come on girls give me a break, point made already. These were small companies (except maybe J Crew, who let them in?) trying to make a go of it with quality goods for a niche market in a tough economy. The event had a theme, so what, most events do. People were in a good mood and the stuff was definitely selling. The party at the Ace Hotel was fun too.

20. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Come on girls give me a break, point made already. These were small companies (except maybe J Crew, who let them in?) trying to make a go of it with quality goods for a niche market in a tough economy. The event had a theme, so what, most events do. People were in a good mood and the stuff was definitely selling. The party at the Ace Hotel was fun too.

This. I wish I could have visited. I'll just have to go hang out in the workshop at Tanner when they get back.