• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

achilles tendon rubbed raw in ae fifth avenues

random512

Reaction score
I took a pair of AE Fifth Avenues with me on a trip recently. I had worn them before but not for more than a block or two. Going to a restaurant or something like that. I went for a walk after dinner this time and after around 2 blocks I started feeling irritation on my Achilles tendon and after 4 blocks it had become painful and impacted my gait. Have you had this experience before with AE Fifth Avenues or similar shoes? Have you figured out any good tricks for breaking in the top back area of the shoes in order to avoid this?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can use your hands to flex that area to loosen it up, but honestly this type of complaint is possibly a symptom of a fit issue like them being too short. Did you have any other pains?

random512

Reaction score
The abrasive achilles rubbing was the only issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the shoe backs were too short. One of the biggest problems I've had with AE is that the fit of their shoes can vary drastically (same model, same size) from pair to pair.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a new pair of Fifth Avenues and have had no problems. I did however have the same type of irritation with a pair of AE Boulders as they are not lined and the seam in the back was a bit rough. I put a heel pad on the inside back of the shoe which solved that issue, and because there was also some heel slip due to that foot being a little smaller than the other, I put one on under the tongue as well. No problems since. The shoes overall though were a bit tight in the toes, especially of my larger foot but have been loosening up in that area along with the rather rigid sole, to where they are now comfortable overall. None of the seven or eight other AE's I have, all lace-ups, presented any of those problems. Good luck.

The heel pad pictured here looks like it's under the sole pad but it's not. You could also lay it in higher up or longitudinally depending on where your friction area is located. And, you can see the sole on the boulder is quite a solid mass.

Attachments

• 20190424_221547_HDR.jpg
    20190424_221547_HDR.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190319_204946_Burst01.jpg
    20190319_204946_Burst01.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

random512

Reaction score
I'm going to try to work those areas with my hand like madhat mentioned. I'm also going to try to soften up that area with some mink oil.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads