• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acer Aspire--thoughts?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
About to pick up a new laptop. I had an Asus and it generally served me well, but had some problems over the past year. Looking to go somewhere else. This Acer looks really nice...good HDD capacity, nice graphics card, solid CPU. Price is right. Does anyone own it? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115787

Frodo

Reaction score
Coworker has one, has had zero problems. We were talking about it yesterday. Acer seems to be the best of the "off brand" computers.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have an acer aspire one netbook. Its all I use. Seeriously, you dont even realize the screen is 10 inches until you see someone elses computer, then theirs just look silly.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a full-sizer, at 15.6". I'd basically be using it as a desktop replacement so that's OK with me. David, have you seen Acer's new Timeline series? Similar size with some REAL nice hardware.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thinkpad. worth the extra money imo.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I have an Acer in the office, I think it is an Aspire - it has served me well for the past couple of years. Very durable, which kind of matters to me, since I travel pretty regularly with it. I had a Travelmate before that, which was stolen in France, and I didn't like it. Build quality seemed awful. May be better by now, not sure, but it was very plasticy, creaked from the hinges when I opened it, that sort of thing.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Acer Aspire 5000 which i bought second hand at the beginning of 2007. I'm still using it now. Acer seems to be a good cheap brand.
Couple of issues; the CD/DVD drive is now faulty, after years of being beat up.

Also. A month ago it completely crashed. Figured out that this was because of a faulty ram stick which was screwing things up. TOok it out and it now runs fine on half RAM (now 512mb).

This is after 3 years of service to me, and probably 1 or 2 to the previous owner. It's certainly done it's job.

One thing though. Don't worry about harddrive size. Harddrives are getting cheaper and cheaper by the day so that's the least of your concerns.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really prefer my Asus (well, i have two of them so Assi? Asuss's?Assusai?) in terms of quality and warranty and all of that. Zero problems unlike my old dells and compaqs..

That said, if you want to move up in quality I'd recommend Thinkpad, or something from Sony or Toshiba.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually kind of got the run-around from Asus. I was experiencing a problem that a lot of other w3j owners were dealing with. It was documented on boards all over the Internet but Asus absolutely refused to recognize the problem existed. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be looking at a 13" screen if I were you. You'll never go back to anything larger.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I have an Acer in the office, I think it is an Aspire - it has served me well for the past couple of years. Very durable, which kind of matters to me, since I travel pretty regularly with it.
ok I was at home when I wrote that, using my Mac. In the office now. Mine is an Aspire 4315, and as above, it has served me well for over two years and is still running very well. It's taken a bit of a beating as all my laptops do, and is holding up well, and showing few signs of wear and tear.
ACER%204315.jpg
It's not the prettiest machine I have ever owned, not by a long shot, but it has been a great workhorse and I'm not complaining, especially at its ~500 pricepoint. We have another one in the office as well - similar pricepoint and same form factor but a year older than mine, and again, it's holding up very well.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I would be looking at a 13" screen if I were you. You'll never go back to anything larger.
Really? Mehhh. I'm not sold on that size. But I'll look at some offerings.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right on, they're all practically disposable these days anyway. Just buy a cheap thumb drive to back up your data.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads