• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accounting options (mid-level firms)

azoodica

Reaction score
There has been some talk on here about accounting internships about specifically about the Big 4. I've read the threads and after taking a look at my situation, My overall GPA will be a little lower than the requirements for the big 4 and am now looking into getting an internship at one of the mid level firms, just wondering if anyone had any experience in those interview processes as well as the requirements for being considered. Thanks a lot in advance.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Assuming your GPA is over 3.0....it won't matter. I know someone who had a 3.1 GPA and she all be starting with PwC next fall. Just network with the recruiters and if they like you it won't matter.

enjoiii

Reaction score
Big 4 employee here. The above poster is right that you don't need to have a stellar GPA to get hired by the Big 4, the key is to network effectively. I didn't have a great GPA but I made some connections and got hired.

One important misconception that you should be able to exploit to your advantage is that most students think the partner is the be all end all in terms of getting hired, but they really aren't. Talk to anyone you can, even the associates have a say when they debrief after recruiting events. What I found particularly valuable was talking to individuals 1 on 1, which allowed me to build a better connection then if I were standing in a circle with 8 other students. PM me if you have any additional questions and take a look at the following website, it has a lot of good info:

http://www.narrowingthegaap.com/

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The partner makes the final call but if associates, senior associates, or managers red flag you then it's pretty much over. So don't say or do anything stupid in front of the staff and managers and think you can get away with it.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've reviewed resumes for a big4 firm. I was just a senior associate, but I was the first one to give the yay/nay on interviews. In terms of GPA our rule-of-thumb minimum we were given was 3.0. Beyond that it was all about writing skills, networking, activities outside of school, etc.

If you can network and differentiate yourself from the other 300 people that are applying, you'll get the interview. We were specifically told to watch our for the kids with 4.0 GPA's who had zero personality - no one is interested in them.

azoodica

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply everyone. It's comforting to know that a 4.0 isn't a direct ticket to the internship but I do have some concerns with my particular situation. I'm using some credits from another degree and they're not quite 3.0 material but there are quite a lot of them which I hope with the remaining credits I can boost my GPA to a 3.0 but it is definitely up hill. Also my university only offers visits and socials with the big four if you join the accounting fraternity which also requires a 3.0 to join.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also my university only offers visits and socials with the big four if you join the accounting fraternity which also requires a 3.0 to join.

Really? That's surprisingly dick-ish of your school. Around these parts the firms host their own meet the firm nights and let anyone and everyone come.Of course that usually means getting 350 resumes for 25 jobs, but it seems unfair to tell someone they can't even have a drink and say hello.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how soon you are trying to land this internship, but front my experience, the Big 4 like to see prior internships that are very similar to the position you're interviewing for (in addition to good grades, extracurriculars, etc.).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads