1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Accountants: Do you like your job?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by longskate88, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

So true.

Also when staff and seniors ask me when the best time to leave is I always tell them leave when you don't want to be here, the hours are too much, you can't handle the stress, etc. but don't leave just for another 10% or 15% in pay.

2. Flame

Flame Senior member

So is there a difference in the Big 4? I have job offers from all 4 but leaning towards Deloitte since I plan to jump into consulting and advisory after establishing a solid foundation via assurance.

3. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Depends on the city. Big city like NYC, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, LA, etc. probably not much difference. You go to a place in Nebraska (Deloitte) or Louisiana (KPMG) and it'll probably be 1 big 4 firm dominating the city.

Also, don't think about moving practices from audit to consulting or advisory. It's possible but it's pretty rare without straight up switching firms. In my 6 years in public accounting, I've seen about 10 people switch from audit to advisory and more than half was through switching firms.

4. janky fish

janky fish Well-Known Member

I am taking FAR on the 8/30 and AUD on 11/30, hoping to take BEC and REG in the first testing window of 2013. 3.2 gpa; major in accounting minor in finance, went to a smaller private school and have no internship or accounting experience.

When should I start applying for accounting positions?

I was looking after I graduated and got a few interviews, but nothing serious. So I took more credits at a JC to get the 150 hours required by Illinois and have started the testing process. I assume passing a portion of the test would let potential employers know I am at least competent enough to be trained etc. but if I got no bites I'd probably just be applying at the same places after I pass all 4 parts. Any thoughts/advice?

5. barkingloud78

barkingloud78 Member

Worked as a junior accountant alongside CPA's for years. It can be rewarding for the right person. I understand your comment about being a 'numbers' person. I'd say, if you're someone who finds great satisfaction in getting things in order, making sense out of a mess, and then doing it all over again next month, you may find satisfaction in this field. Obviously the enjoyment of the job is greatly dependent upon where you work and who you work with as well. I was very blessed in that my accounting position gave me contacts to then start another company that was totally unrelated to accounting. The beauty was that the accounting position and the experience I gained in setting up a new company, filing state and local corporate documents, filing tax returns, bookkeeping, etc allowed me jump right in to starting my own company from scratch without any outside assistance. There are some very valuable and lifelong skills that can be gained in the accounting field that can serve you well over the course of your life, even if you don't stay in the field forever.

6. Flame

Flame Senior member

Thanks.

So I have an physical interview with EY (one of the partners) on 25th September.

How good are my chances for a fresh grad position in *gasp* general assurance?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

If you go in thinking this then not very good. Audit isn't the greatest but if you act like it's shit then why would anyone want to hire you to do it. Back when I used to be somewhat involved in recruiting I would toss resumes of candidates that would sign up for audit interviews but would say they wanted to do transaction services or some other advisory service because it sounded more prestigious. I've done rotations in advisory from time to time when they were short staffed and it's every bit as tedious as audit is at a staff or senior level. Also the amount of travel you do in advisory is ridiculous. A lot of them travel about 70% or more of the year.

8. Flame

Flame Senior member

^ Thanks. I think you misunderstand me. Talking to my peers, I think I'm one of the rare cases in my cohort to actually want to do general assurance (due to the wide-spread exposure, and cross industrial learning experience) as opposed to everyone wanting to do advisory, risk mgmt etc. Everyone is saying how audit will suck the life out of you and is pretty much shunning away. All better for me I guess.

You still haven't really answered my earlier question. thanks for the help so far. :)

9. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Is this an office interview or on-campus interview? The former means your chances are pretty good while the latter is still a toss up.

10. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

Great advice. I agree...don't leave public accounting too early. I did after only three years and now over 10 years later regret it. One piece of advice...look into bank regulatory accounting...a field that is heating up right now (especially reg capital).

11. Flame

Flame Senior member

At the office. By a partner no less.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  12. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

I totally agree and try to tell my colleagues the same. In your case, if you were to redo, when would you have left?

13. swimgood

swimgood Member

Advisory and consulting are both very broad groups with different teams under them. A couple of my former classmates are in strategy and operations, deloitte's top consulting group. According to them, they never take audit laterals. So if your main reason for accepting audit at deloitte was to get into that group, I'd reconsider. But other groups, such as Consulting ERS, may be easier to jump into from audit. Also, I wouldn't sweat which firm you pick that much if all the offers are for audit. Lateraling between the firms happens pretty easily cause all the firms are eager to pull talent away from each other. That aside, I'd choose the firm where you got along with people the most.

As far as the debate on when to leave public goes, doesn't that depend on what career path/exit opportunity you are trying to pursue? I think leaving at the manager level is more ideal if you wanted to pursue a controller path. If one wanted to work more in finance and operations (FP&A, treasury, etc) then it might make sense to leave earlier so one doesn't become too specialized.

1 person likes this.