• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accountants: Do you like your job?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the accounting folks on here, do you like what you do? Particularly if you're a CPA, though Private opinions would be helpful too.

For the record, I haven't had enough real world experience, besides basic intro classes, to know whether I like "numbers" or not (LOL, everyone always asks, "well, do you like numbers??" as if that's the magic answer)

I'm trying to add to my wintertime, out-of-school desperation at the bleakness of the future.
plain.gif

Thanks!
smile.gif

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one here is accountant? That's not a good sign! LOL

I'm just trying to figure out if you can still be happy and successful without selling your soul to a Big4 and then working 65 hours a week, forever.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad is one, hated it and now is in the world of finance. That's my major, it doesn't seem all that appealing to me but it is an extremely versatile major.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does he do in Fnance? What it an easy switch, assuming he only had an accounting degree?

What I hate about finance, is usually no clear job titles. Same thing with the whole freakin world I guess, you don't just say, "I want to be a .............."

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an accountant, but I had to take some classes for my MBA. I hated them. I'm a numbers geek, but not that kind of numbers geek. Finance is much more interesting to me.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Accounting is a pretty boring job, I'd imagine. I mean think about what you do all day... You compile data and present it in the form of reports so that other people can make decisions. My father started as a CA but he quickly moved in to a more operational/managment role. A lot of accountants just like to do their thing in their corner.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I'm not an accountant, but I had to take some classes for my MBA. I hated them. I'm a numbers geek, but not that kind of numbers geek. Finance is much more interesting to me.
Suppose I switch it up and major and Finance right now (Hell, I'm going to be there forever anyways..), what kind of fields are out there for someone from a state college with a 3.0? To do your job, would someone with an accounting degree and finance minor (or vice versa) be qualified? PLUS, these days, would a finance degree be a smart move, with all the layoffs? I won't be an iBanker or anything, but I wouldn't mind something like a financial advisor.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
What does he do in Fnance? What it an easy switch, assuming he only had an accounting degree?

What I hate about finance, is usually no clear job titles. Same thing with the whole freakin world I guess, you don't just say, "I want to be a .............."

Very easy switch. Entry level jobs are going to suck for the most part no matter what you do. If you graduate from a state school with a finance degree you aren't going to be doing anything fun and exciting anyway. You may be like a loan officer or something. Accounting is very good for consulting, what I would like to do. I also feel that it is the language of business, and being a master in that can't be a bad thing.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suppose I switch it up and major and Finance right now (Hell, I'm going to be there forever anyways..), what kind of fields are out there for someone from a state college with a 3.0?

To do your job, would someone with an accounting degree and finance minor (or vice versa) be qualified?

PLUS, these days, would a finance degree be a smart move, with all the layoffs? I won't be an iBanker or anything, but I wouldn't mind something like a financial advisor.

Financial advisor actually has really high job satisfaction, from what i've read. It pays fairly well, the hours are predictable, and it's usually pretty stress-free.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most financial advisors are just salesmen in disguise.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Most financial advisors are just salesmen in disguise.
Yes, that's my opinion too. You're selling services and products, which I don't want to do. I just want to talk to people about their money, and how best to utilize it. Would that be some type of budget analyst?

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an accountant but work with CPA's and CA's who moved on to industry soon after getting their designations with Big 4's. Some are in more traditional accounting roles but others work in strategy or planning (what I do). I think it's a good field to study and the designation is solid.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
I'm not an accountant but work with CPA's and CA's who moved on to industry soon after getting their designations with Big 4's. Some are in more traditional accounting roles but others work in strategy or planning (what I do). I think it's a good field to study and the designation is solid.

Dumb question, but can you expand on "moving into industry?" Is that like, moving from doing public accounting at the Big4, to private accounting/strategy/planning at a private corp?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Accounting is a pretty boring job, I'd imagine. I mean think about what you do all day... You compile data and present it in the form of reports so that other people can make decisions. My father started as a CA but he quickly moved in to a more operational/managment role. A lot of accountants just like to do their thing in their corner.

How do you become the person that makes the decisions?
blush.gif

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, but can you expand on "moving into industry?" Is that like, moving from doing public accounting at the Big4, to private accounting/strategy/planning at a private corp?

That's it. Again, I should let the accountants on the board weigh in, but many I know didn't have ambitions to advance in public practice. Once in a corporation, you can look into other areas of finance or beyond.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics