• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accidental Racism!

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many of you make fun of other races/cultures with your friends? and then find yourself almost blurting something out in front of someone you dont really know? me and my friends always make jokes about other cultures (including our own), and its just more fun that way. we're not racist or anything just like to joke around. how many of you do this and have, or almost blurted something stupid infront of someone you didnt know?

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
How many of you make fun of other races/cultures with your friends? and then find yourself almost blurting something out in front of someone you dont really know? me and my friends always make jokes about other cultures (including our own), and its just more fun that way. we're not racist or anything just like to joke around. how many of you do this and have, or almost blurted something stupid infront of someone you didnt know?
Seriously......If this is a common thing, then there may be some issues you are failing to address.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you mean, you never play up stereotypes just for fun? its usually those people who are so cautious and worried to say anything who deep down are the real racists etc.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah it happens once and a while...

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you mean, you never play up stereotypes just for fun? its usually those people who are so cautious and worried to say anything who deep down are the real racists etc.

No, it's not. It's those who are careless about expressing their prejudices to people because they subconsciously believe (or hope) that others agree with them.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea i see how it is you guys never make any racist jokes or anything of that sort! thats just so not pc!

penguin vic

Reaction score
confused.gif

Is your post an example of you blurting out something stupid to people you don't know? Sounds like you and your friends know how to have fun. Yeah.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh we have more fun then you could shake a stick at!

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Yeah, like when, since everybody at work hates Indians, so sometimes, while hating Indians outside of work, it's necessary to hold one's tongue, because sometimes you forget that not everyone hates Indians (yet).

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
exactly! see he gets the point!but see we dont hate anyone! its all jks, i only bite my tongue if i dont know the person and feel they may get offended! but if im friends with them i will also make fun of them! see? im an equal oppurtunist!

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Yeah, like when, since everybody at work hates Indians, so sometimes, while hating Indians outside of work, it's necessary to hold one's tongue, because sometimes you forget that not everyone hates Indians (yet).

exactly! see he gets the point!but see we dont hate anyone! its all jks, i only bite my tongue if i dont know the person and feel they may get offended! but if im friends with them i will also make fun of them! see? im an equal oppurtunist!

That was awesome.

Going back to the title of the thread, if making racist jokes around other people is "Accidental" Racism, when you do it around your friends, wouldn't it be "Intentional" Racism?

lost in va

Reaction score
I have a friend who has been called "****" since the day I met him.

I'll often find myself at a mexican restaurant with him and have to do my best to call him by his real name.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I'm saying, that if this is a common occurance, more than likely it isn't as innocent as you believe.

Personally I have always respected those that will make the comments to my face, in comparison to those who will only make the comments behind my back.

Karo

Reaction score
Yeah I have done it sometime. Once my frd said some racist comment, and some black linebacker was right behind us. Good thing he wasn't one of those angry blacks.

For me personally, I think its alright to make a few jokes here and there. I use to work with a very diverse group of ppl so everyone had a good laugh.

I only get offended if they are actually serious about it. Then I'll go kick their ass.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think alot of it depends on the joke, and whether or not they were serious or actually believed in the stereotype.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics