• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accesorizing pinstripes

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of Navy pinstripe suits -- a standard 2-button RLPolo and a Canali 6 on 2, dbl breasted with side vents. I am having trouble figuring out shirt and tie options. I usually just go with a plain white shirt, no stripes, and solid red tie and silver cufflinks with a red stone or just plain silver cufflinks. Any other ideas on what would work well with Navy pinstripe suits?

Also, are any shoes recomended in particular with the dbl. breasted Canali? I figure cap toes or wingtips would be just fine, or are Monk straps more traditionally worn with such a suit?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're sticking to the 'two-pattern' rule at work, you can still get some nice combinations out of solid white and light blue shirts, and more interesting ties. Try ties in all shades of blue, gold, silver, bronze, purple, orange (I've recently seen quite a few pale blue shirts paired with coppery-orange ties), or even pink. Polka dots are very complimentary to pinstripes, as are all kinds of geometric patterns. A pinstripe suit can also look good when paired with a white shirt with some kind of coloured overcheck, commonly blue. If your office is more casual, a french-blue shirt could work, too. If your office is really casual, you could try pale purple or pink shirts. Stripes are good, too, provided they're of a different scale than the stripes on the suit. Your mileage may vary, of course - wear your suit into a department store and try it with whatever colours catch your eye at first glance. Most people will say that if you're wearing a double-breasted suit and a tie, you should wear lace-up shoes, and I'm not going to argue. But then, if it looks good, who cares? Enjoy, Nick.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monkstraps are actually formal enough to go with double-breasted, although I would avoid wingtips.

BjornH

Reaction score
I've gotten away with a blue/white pinstripe shirt and a tie with dots (not a polka though). The shirt had fine stripes and the stripes on my suit are rather faint so it works well.

I'm going to try the light-blue shirt/copper tone tie combo - sounds interesting.

It's also refreshing to wear a brown belt and brown shoes with the navy suit. If your'e adventurous enough, make them light brown and have your shoes stared at and admired.

Bjorn

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I was in Italy, many men I noticed were doing the brown shoes/navy suits deal. Looked very elegant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads