1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Accepting work from a convict?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fabienne, Jul 17, 2006.

1. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I think that case is Coker v. Georgia, or some similar name. IIRC, that court held that a sentence of death violated the 8th when the accused was only convicted of rape, rather than holding that murder is mandatory prerequisite to a death sentence. I am pulling this out of my foggy memory of a capital punishment seminar I took in LS, however, and I could be off base. Also, I think some other crimes that result in a death that does not rise to level of murder are eligible for the death penalty. Threatening or ordering the death of a federal witness or jury member is also a federal capital offense, I think.

Ah yes, you are right. I just consulted my old criminal law outline and I have written that in Coker v. Georgia the Supreme Court held that the punishment of death is constitutionally disproportionate where the defendant has been convicted of rape, but it doesn't say that murder (or a killing) is a prerequisite for imposition of the death penalty. Good looking out. Also, sorry for the hijack.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ah yes, you are right. I just consulted my old criminal law outline and I have written that in Coker v. Georgia the Supreme Court held that the punishment of death is constitutionally disproportionate where the defendant has been convicted of rape, but it doesn't say that murder (or a killing) is a prerequisite for imposition of the death penalty. Good looking out. Also, sorry for the hijack.
    Careful, I think the 8th Amendment may give j sufficient leeway to impose impose a punishment of banning for threadjacking . . .

3. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Careful, I think the 8th Amendment may give j sufficient leeway to impose impose a punishment of banning for threadjacking . . .

If j banned me it would be cruel and unusual punishment for the rest of the forum. [​IMG]

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

If j banned me it would be cruel and unusual punishment for the rest of the forum. [​IMG]
    LOL. I hear he's been talking to Ricky . . .

5. wheelerray

wheelerray Senior member

To go back to the original point of the post, you will be terrified if you take the time to see how easy it is for anyone with internet access to find your address, assuming you own property. One can even pull up a satellite image of your house and neighborhood on-screen in seconds.

In my line of work the State licensing board posts "business" addresses on their website, so I got a PO box thinking it provided some privacy. A colleague showed me how flimsy that precaution was when he showed me how easily he found my address and the aforementioned satellite image of my house on the internet with no personal info other than my name.

If you want no-risk, all you can do is stay away from risky populations, 'cause they can surely find you if they want to.

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

To go back to the original point of the post, you will be terrified if you take the time to see how easy it is for anyone with internet access to find your address, assuming you own property. One can even pull up a satellite image of your house and neighborhood on-screen in seconds.

In my line of work the State licensing board posts "business" addresses on their website, so I got a PO box thinking it provided some privacy. A colleague showed me how flimsy that precaution was when he showed me how easily he found my address and the aforementioned satellite image of my house on the internet with no personal info other than my name.

If you want no-risk, all you can do is stay away from risky populations, 'cause they can surely find you if they want to.

I'd probably set up a PO Box and give the guy the benefit of the doubt beyond that, but that's just me. I'm not sure that that's the right approach for other people.

7. Stax

Stax Senior member

I'd probably set up a PO Box and give the guy the benefit of the doubt beyond that, but that's just me. I'm not sure that that's the right approach for other people.

ditto

8. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Thank you for all the responses. My friend, after learning about the life sentence and rereading the letter (I have not seen the letter), decided for me: he doesn't want to be involved and would not want any harm to come to me because of someone he would have referred. He therefore will answer negatively with the self-addressed stamped envelope the man had enclosed. This friend, like me, has worked with inmates in the past (he taught correspondence courses through the university where we met), but this particular situation makes him uneasy. I will not pursue this. And no, it is not legal work.

From the little research I did yesterday on the inmate's name, it sounds, indeed, as though he had previously been sentenced to death.

9. Matt

Matt Senior member

way off topic fab - is that you in your avatar?

10. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

way off topic fab - is that you in your avatar?

If the opinion is favorable, it's me; if not, it's Shakira or Emmanuelle Beart.
    [​IMG]

11. Matt

Matt Senior member

straight to the babes thread [​IMG]