1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Acceptable Shoes - yes or no

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dman34, Apr 23, 2014.

1. dman34

dman34 Active Member

Bought these a few years ago before knowing any better and in the process of re-vamping my wardrobe.

I've read a lot of "square toe" hate since joining this forum but they're very comfortable so I figured I'd let the majority rule.[​IMG]

Do these stay or go?

2. Andrew Ryan

Andrew Ryan Senior member

I vote go. They're also a cap-toe (more formal) derby/blucher (less formal), which is a little incongruent. But it is indeed the squareness of the toe that kills it. That said, there are far, far worse square toes out there.

3. dman34

dman34 Active Member

Appreciate your opinion.....thanks! 1 vote go :satisfied:

I should probably mention that if I kept these I would only be wearing them with less formal attire - nice fitting jeans, maybe out to a club with cotton pants and a dress shirt. Definitely not with a suit. Maybe that will affect how people vote.

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  5. Andrew Ryan

Andrew Ryan Senior member

^ That at least has some punch-cap action going on and is in a more informal color. Just my opinion, but I think plain (no brouging) cap-toes should be reserved for oxfords/balmorals, and derbys much benefit from a plain toe or, if not, the presence of brouging.

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

Burn them

2 people like this.
  7. mbishop

mbishop Active Member

Donate them to your local thrift store. Or keep them to wear for household chores. Just never wear them in public.

8. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

Those are truly awful looking shoes. They manage to get everything wrong: derby shoe with a blunt square cap toe in poop brown. If I had set out to design an uglier, more specious shoe, I couldn't have topped this.

As GBR said, you should burn them, possibly shredding them first.

9. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Do not keep. Donate them.

10. Mills

Mills Member

I agree

11. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Toes are unfortunately too 'square' IMHO. But of course it's this shape which makes it very comfortable. Perhaps keep them for other uses else donate.

12. cooledbuckle

cooledbuckle Member

Ok, so I have my university farewell tomorrow.
    And I plan to wear a black suit (something like this)
    [​IMG]
    with a slate grey shirt.
    [​IMG]

Just to stand out a bit I was thinking of wearing this with black leather moccasins ( something like this).
    [​IMG]

Yes or No ?

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

The last isn't too great, but they're not the worst shoes I've ever seen on here.

14. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Welcome to SF! Unless you are joking, you really need to lurk around a bit if you think any of those are SF-approved. There are lots of threads with useful information for beginners including this one by Vox:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20120711...oughts-on-coherent-combinations-for-beginners

Obviously no to all.

15. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Regulars will know i dread saying this.............. - Ebay them. Then thrift a pair of more universally (in SF) accepted shoes. for your gained cash.

Plus, they are awful. (sorry) and i apparently have a more generous idea of what looks good, so,........they must go.

Last edited: May 5, 2014