• We would like to welcome LuxGentleman as an official Affiliate Vendor. LuxGentleman offers Neapolitan sartorial brands such as Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, Sartoria Partenopea, D'Avenza, and Attolini, and Italian luxury brands like Loro Piana, Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli and Brioni at great prices. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Acceptable on a new briefcase or not?

Reloc8

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope this is the right place for the thread.

I would like some help in assessing some wear marks that have appeared on a brand new briefcase after one days light use. The bag was lightly loaded.

The first picture shows one side of the case. Areas of concern are in the bottom right and top middle/right of the shot. The next two are close ups of those areas.

The fourth picture shows the handles on one side with similar creasing.

The bag was sold as brand new through an authorised dealer. The leather is good quality top grain harness belting leather. The brand enjoys an excellent reputation.

I believe there are likely to be members who are well placed to advise on whether what I am seeing is acceptable/expected and would request your help.in assessing the situation (if it is a situation at all).

Thanks for your help.
20190930_174728.jpg
20190930_174714.jpg
20190930_174721.jpg
20190930_191124.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Anachronist

Reaction score
I'm afraid that is completely normal. With the experience of 15 years of leather briefcases I can reassure you they all get creases quickly (and scratches), even the most expensive.

Reloc8

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply. That's extremely comforting.

I have owned a few leather briefcases over the last 15 - 20 years myself but this is the most I've spent on one. Other cases I've owned (price bracket 350 - 500 euros) would not have worn like this, but I think the leather used in this one is a higher quality and is more 'natural'. It's described as full grain harness belting leather. l suspect my other case that is closest in kind to this one is made from top grain leather (texier, bought circa 2009).

Just to update I'm in dialogue with the vendor and they offered to replace (because of the creases on the body of the bag which they said appeared a little odd). So kudos to them for great service.

That said given your view I'm mulling over just keeping it. I know it's going to get scuffed and marked up and that's fine. If this is not a quality issue I don't want to put the vendor through a replacement. I think they are just being ultra deferential to their customer in offering a replacement.

The wear at the handles is not really an issue, although I found it odd that they only came in on one side. It's the marks on the body of the bag that don't look right to me. They have the appearance of the leather being...fatigued?

My concern was whether the bag has been stored correctly by the vendor, or left on display in a shop window for a long time or something. In fairness I would be surprised if so. The vendor has a good reputation.

I'll think it over for the weekend and decide on Monday. I do love the case. I might email the vendor and tell them that of they're happy to stand over the bag I'll keep it under review.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might try posting your question here:
I wonder whether the leather used is from a part of the hide with loose fibers. It's not a part of the bag that I'd expect to flex much, so I agree with the vendor's assessment that the creasing looks odd.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

WHAT'S THE MAX NUMBER OF SHIRT BUTTONS YOU'LL UNDO BEFORE FEELING OUT OF PLACE?

• Just the collar button is enough for me.

• Two, including the collar button.

• Three, including the collar button.

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.