• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accept money orders from ebay buyers?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm newbish at this stuff. A guy notified me that he'd like to bid, but that he doesn't do PayPal - only US Postal Money Orders. Is there any reason for me to be suspicious about this?

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No reason to be suspicious yet. Make sure it is a US Postal Money order. Inform the buyer that you will ship once you cash the money order or have it deposited and it clears your account. The buyer should understand the waiting for this. If not, tell him to get a Paypal account! Hahaha.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had problems with USPS MO's, but I suppose they could be faked. I wouldn't take other mo's, though.

If you follow Imhoff's advice you'll probably be OK.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
I'm newbish at this stuff. A guy notified me that he'd like to bid, but that he doesn't do PayPal - only US Postal Money Orders. Is there any reason for me to be suspicious about this?

As long as you ensure the money clears / the MO is legit before relinquishing the item, you have absolutely nothing to lose. He won't be able to dispute the transaction.

Wolfador

Reaction score
As long as he doesn't send you a money order for more than the amount and wants you to send back some of the change.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just make sure it is a US Postal MO and wait until it clears like a check. Should be fine, I have excepted them many times in the past.

BBC

Reaction score
You can take a Postal MO straight to the Post Office and they'll give you cash right away for it. If you deposit it in your bank then you'll have to wait for it to clear like a check. I just take my MOs to the Post Office - almost as easy as paypal and you save the fees.

Brogued

Reaction score
Postal money are fine. That's the way it was done before Paypal.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
No reason to be suspicious yet. Make sure it is a US Postal Money order. Inform the buyer that you will ship once you cash the money order or have it deposited and it clears your account. The buyer should understand the waiting for this. If not, tell him to get a Paypal account! Hahaha.

+1. Wait for it to clear then ship.

dub_c

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think it's worth the trouble for most items. On average, having one more bidder for an auction will raise the final price a little, but not a lot. There's also the risk of the person deciding not to pay after winning (in my experience, this is more common with MO's) or it getting lost in the mail. And you have to wait to find out if they're going to actually pay.

If the person has good feedback, there's less risk, of course. But then you have to go cash it -- if you're going to go to the PO anyway and wait in line, that doesn't add much more time. But if you send it some other way, or put postage on it yourself so that you can just drop it off at the post office without waiting in line, you'll have to wait in line to cash the money order.

In short: Yes, you may be able to get a few more bucks, but it may not be worth the trouble and risk.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Screw that.

I've never had trouble with anything that wasn't Paypal.

Paypal will Eff you over and take your money if the buyer is anything less than satisfied.

Go for it and like others have suggested, cash it at your local post office.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics