• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Academic white tie" ??

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be graduating from University in the summer and have been informed that the dress code for the day/graduation ceremony is "Academic white tie" which consists of:

" Dark lounge suit with black shoes, white shirt and white bow tie. The kilt may be worn with dark jacket and kilt hose. "

I won't be wearing a kilt, so I suppose I will be wearing a white bow tie with a suit, which sounds pretty odd to me. Obviously it will be with a gown and matching natty headgear, I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this as a dress code before, if there is any history to it.
I rather suspect that it is just something the university made up to make the ceremony more "accessible". What does one traditionally graduate in?

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
This sounds identical to "sub-fusc", worn by students at Oxford University during matriculation, exams etc. It is, as with "academic white tie", a dark suit, white shirt, white bow tie, gown and mortar board (those black caps that students always throw into the air after graduation
smile.gif
) I'm guessing that it's not all too uncommon during graduation ceremonies, but I think very few universities make you wear it as frequently as Oxford do. Holdfast will no doubt elaborate
smile.gif

Lord Gladstone

Reaction score
Here in Europe one wears white tie (so no ordinary suit) during promoting to become a doctor in science. Why the heck do they want to use such a hybride???

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
St Andrews has a similar dress code for graduation events. Always thought it a a bit odd, but there you go.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord Gladstone
Here in Europe one wears white tie (so no ordinary suit) during promoting to become a doctor in science. Why the heck do they want to use such a hybride???

Possibly because the main focus of the outfit is the robes, what is worn underneath them doesn't really matter as much...

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
College of Charleston wears a white dinner jacket with black tie (ladies in white dresses) in the summer graduation, black tie for winter graduation.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Possibly because the main focus of the outfit is the robes, what is worn underneath them doesn't really matter as much...

Or because sticking new graduates with the cost of having to actually meet the exacting standards of real white tie would be cruel.

literasyme

Reaction score
No, it has nothing to do with that. Even calling it "white tie" is inaccurate. As you go up in the hierarchy, the white bow tie often is replaced with bands/tabs. Wearing a white tie underneath a gown is conventional in other contexts as well -- German lawyers and judges do it, too.

Formal white tie (tails) or dinner jackets of any colour would be totally inappropriate in this context; academic dress, at least subfusc, is not primarily celebratory/festive but more like a uniform or habit. That it's almost universally worn only for special occasions now doesn't alter that historical fact.

Personally, I prefer the neutrality of dark suit & white tie to the usual standard in American academic dress, which usually results in a strange clash of a too-colourful gown with a regular suit and tie underneath it.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Personally, I prefer the neutrality of dark suit & white tie to the usual standard in American academic dress, which usually results in a strange clash of a too-colourful gown with a regular suit and tie underneath it.

This is a reasonable objection, the spirit of which could be applied to a broad variety of American clothing decisions. I'm rather hoping that the new trend of forcing school uniforms on kids will lead them to grow up with a better sense of how to dress.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the reason it sounds similar to St Andrews dress is because it is St Andrews, and it does seem identical to "sub-fusc". I can see something simple under the robes would be a good idea, I have never worn a bow tie with a suit before, a white one with a white shirt just seemed a little odd to me, but I suppose with robes etc. it does make some sense.

As to forcing uniforms on people making them dress better... well I always went to uniformed schools and most people seemed to spend most of their time trying to make it looks as scruffy as possible, it seemed the smarter the uniform the further people would try and push to make it un-uniform (or as much like casual clothing) as they could.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
Well the reason it sounds similar to St Andrews dress is because it is St Andrews, and it does seem identical to "sub-fusc". I can see something simple under the robes would be a good idea, I have never worn a bow tie with a suit before, a white one with a white shirt just seemed a little odd to me, but I suppose with robes etc. it does make some sense.

As to forcing uniforms on people making them dress better... well I always went to uniformed schools and most people seemed to spend most of their time trying to make it looks as scruffy as possible, it seemed the smarter the uniform the further people would try and push to make it un-uniform (or as much like casual clothing) as they could.

Ha! Congratulations!
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads