• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Abu Dhabi - expatriate living

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I am pursuing an opportunity that may give me a chance to move to Abu Dhabi.

It would be a relatively senior position, so I would apparently be able to take my wife and kids.

Does anyone have experiences there or in the UAE in general?

Any thoughts?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots and lots and lots of money there.

humza

Reaction score
I haven't been to Abu Dhabi, but I've been to Dubai. I would guess that Dubai is more flashy, but Abu Dhabi is more of a business-y type place.

Dubai is nice, but I wouldn't bring my family there...useless info, but meh..

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not dubai, but then it is not dubai!

If you have an expat package, you can live well. Can get servants etc. Good schools may not so easy to get admission into but are very good.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you can live very well, there are plenty of ex-pat schools, you will have servants, and the people aren't that bad. what will be tough - you will deal with people from many different cultures, indians, arabs, africans who work under you, and then bosses who are spoiled local emiratiees. you can't really walk anywhere, and traffic can be bad, you spend your time in houses, in malls, in the office and in the car.

good beaches. very easy to get to anywhere in the middle east, india, africa, europe - so over a few years your kids can see pretty much everyplace important. they will also learn to get along with people from other cultures.

if you have specific questions, pm me.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a cousin of mine who has an MBA just moved out there to do hospital administration and is helping start up a hospital/clinic. she took the chance to move out there, but she's single. but i would think it would be an awesome opportunity for you and the fam. If it sucks, you can always move back to the states.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Coming from AZ climate change shouldn't be a big factor...
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
a cousin of mine who has an MBA just moved out there to do hospital administration and is helping start up a hospital/clinic. she took the chance to move out there, but she's single. but i would think it would be an awesome opportunity for you and the fam. If it sucks, you can always move back to the states.

another issue - I think this is probrably the best gift you could give your kids. they will see a lot of interesting things, get to know people from all over the world, travel (if you use your time and money wisely). there is also a zero drug situation in the UAE, so its not like some places that you may be worried about your kids getting in with the wrong crowd.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay out of trouble...

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Given the current situation here in the US, I think it would be a great opportunity for you. Good Luck!

I have no experience there but I'm in Houston. Many of my energy industry friends have been there ( either single or with their family ), and every single one of them was glad they went.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm what do you people who get to live in these amazing places do? I would go in a heart beat even without all the expat perks.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I am pursuing an opportunity that may give me a chance to move to Abu Dhabi.

It would be a relatively senior position, so I would apparently be able to take my wife and kids.

Does anyone have experiences there or in the UAE in general?

Any thoughts?

I lived in Abu Dhabi several years ago. Luxurious, safe life without taxes. Strict laws against criminal activity or drugs, which means your kids won't be exposed to bad elements.

I say go for it.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Lots and lots and lots of money there.

Isn't it all on credit and the bubble will burst soon?
Everyone has 15-20 credit cards because they will slightly alter or add an al-____ to their name etc?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads