• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Absolutely no dress code party, FOLLOW UP

mdg137

Reaction score
This coming Saturday, my wife and I are attending a "poor man's new year" party, held at a local ethnic club. This is a traditional party that has been held at this place for many years, although it is the first time my wife and I will be going. (Many of her family are long time attendees).

Evening should be dinner and dancing, with a pointedly low brow feel-- I was told, "bring your own snacks"....

When I asked about the dress code, I was told, essentially anything goes. Ive been to this club once before, and it was largely 60's-70's age, dressed in sport coats. My wife's uncle has decided on Hawaiian for himself....

Im thinking either going full blown Brioni DB dinner suit for fun, or a dark navy 3 piece, with white shirt and silver grenadine tie, black cap toes.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
can you get pictures of the event from last year? might give you some ideas...

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd dress up a scale, and if I feel like it's too formal I'll go to the restroom and make proper adjustment to blend in. And put the unwanted pieces in a safe place in my car.

Sazerac

Reaction score
What a great reason to put on white tie & tails.

Raralith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Jeans+Sport Coat+Open Collar

I'd consider chinos or cords instead of jeans, but it's a good casual look that won't peg you too low or high.

Also, I know this is a "poor man's new year," but are ya'll too poor to pay attention as you are more than 3 weeks late?
wink.gif

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
This coming Saturday, my wife and I are attending a "poor man's new year" party, ... ?

Well, if this is when they are celebrating New Year's, maybe a broken watch would be a good accessory.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SaturdayNightFever_300x298.jpg

mdg137

Reaction score
Ive now been informed, in not so subtle terms, the whole family will be following the Hawaiian theme.

Im not sure that I have it in me to go that far-- would a Willis and Geiger safari jacket seem "tropical" enough?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive now been informed, in not so subtle terms, the whole family will be following the Hawaiian theme. Im not sure that I have it in me to go that far-- would a Willis and Geiger safari jacket seem "tropical" enough?
Now it sounds like your are being subject to cross pressures that have less to do with your dress than your relationship with your family. If it were me, I'd wear a tux, if only to re-enforce my individuality.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm coming naked.

^^ Read that twice babies.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
This coming Saturday, my wife and I are attending a "poor man's new year" party, held at a local ethnic club. This is a traditional party that has been held at this place for many years, although it is the first time my wife and I will be going. (Many of her family are long time attendees).

Evening should be dinner and dancing, with a pointedly low brow feel-- I was told, "bring your own snacks"....

When I asked about the dress code, I was told, essentially anything goes. Ive been to this club once before, and it was largely 60's-70's age, dressed in sport coats. My wife's uncle has decided on Hawaiian for himself....

Im thinking either going full blown Brioni DB dinner suit for fun, or a dark navy 3 piece, with white shirt and silver grenadine tie, black cap toes.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Dress more casual. Chinos, sportshirt, sweater, loafers and you're fine. If you want to kick it up a notch, then add a blazer to that. As you yourself said, it's a "poor man's New Year" party. Please don't overdress for something like this.

poorlawstudent

Reaction score
Lunar new year, perhaps?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads