• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Absolute max to spend on a Zegna Z suit?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Bloomingdales yesterday and they had some of these for half off retail, so about $500. How much more is that than what one should spend for these suits? I liked a couple of them, a lot actually, but I know that the construction on these isn't amazing. As far as where one could get them cheaper, I don't order suits on ebay or anything like that, and I never see Zegna anything on STP, so it seems that a retail store sale is about as good as I'll do. The ones on Bluefly are more expensive, and many of those have pleated pants as well. So, someone, please talk me out of it, lol!

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. Save if you can and buy a non fused suit. It really will last you much much longer. If you do buy a fused, go for it only under $500. But if you really like them, they are nice looking slim suits, just be aware of how they hold up. Z Zegna does have some cool looking suits though. Very hip!

After than you can acquire a full canvassed RTW via Ebay, WFinest, virtual clothes horse for 800 to 1k to 1.5k. Do not dry clean often a fused suit, you'll be sorry you did.

A FC suit just survives dry cleaning so much better and the material difference is like night and day.

Z Zenga is going after the Boss Crowd. Z Zegna is the lowest on Zegn'a food chain. I don't think they are a wise purchase unless you are only going to rarely wear them for style over substance.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Don't do it. Save if you can and buy a non fused suit. It really will last you much much longer. If you do buy a fused, go for it only under $500. But if you really like them, they are nice looking slim suits, just be aware of how they hold up. Z Zegna does have some cool looking suits though. Very hip!

After than you can acquire a full canvassed RTW via Ebay, WFinest, virtual clothes horse for 800 to 1k to 1.5k. Do not dry clean often a fused suit, you'll be sorry you did.

A FC suit just survives dry cleaning so much better and the material difference is like night and day.

Right now, I need to go quantity over quality, because I wear suits 4-5 days/week, and only have like four or five I actually wear. One of them is a MTM Zegna, full canvas, and you are right it's a lot nicer (though I haven't worn it yet cause it needs some alterations). However, I need to get up to about ten suits so I don't have to wear them as often. I scout the various Nordstrom Racks and Off 5ths, but haven't found too much great stuff yet. I do think I will wait to see if they take another markdown soon though.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$500 is a bit more than I would consider paying for Z suit given that I can buy a Corneliani or Samuelsohn for the same price (or less) or a Canali or mainline Zegna for a couple hundred more. Although I haven't bought one in a while, my limit price for fused suits is probably between $300 and $400 depending how much I like the style. That said, if you really like the suit then go for it. As soph says though, understand you are buying a suit that has a more limited life span and dry clean very sparingly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads