• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Absolute faux pas or acceptably trendy?

holmesfan13

Reaction score
I'm new here guys, so I don't know exactly how this works, but I'd like to ask for some advice from what seems like the sartorial center for men online. I'm a high school student and have just bought a nice midnight blue, slim fit tuxedo to wear to my prom. Peak lapels, naturally. I have a few questions surrounding the tux. My girlfriend will be wearing a classic black evening dress, so I was wondering if the tuxedo's midnight blue would clash with the black, despite the fact that the difference in color is almost imperceptible. Second, I've made the naive decision to buy a pair of dress wingtip oxfords to wear with the tux. I'd known that patent leather or theatre slippers were the norm, but I figured it would add some flare and a trendy twist to the ensemble. My question regarding the shoes is: are wingtip oxfords an absolute faux pas or acceptable under my circumstances? Remember this is prom, not a senator's gala. Lastly, what is the best way to add some individuality, other than the wingtips? A polka dot pocket square or a patterned black bowtie? Or perhaps something else that hasn't crossed my mind? I honestly don't have the resources to correct my wrongdoings here, so this is all a bit of a moot point, but I'd still love to hear what you all have to say. Again, I have no idea how this works, so if I've disrupted the natural order of things with my personal query, I apologize. Thanks much.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
You're in high school. Don't sweat it. Spend your time trying to smuggle in booze and get to third base with your date.

In all seriousness, the midnight tux will already stand out enough, especially at a prom that will no doubt be flooded with novelty colors and rented monstrosities. No need to add flare for the sake of adding flare; that's how you end up with a black shirt and neon pink tie. Especially when it comes to black tie (but also in general), simplicity is your ally. You will find, as you learn more, that what you might now think of as "boring" or "predictable" takes a lot of attention to detail to be done correctly. But this will all come later.

In the meantime make hay while the sun shines. Worry about dressing "correctly" or "to the standard" down the road. There are things you have to discover in the next few years will be far more important than getting dressed.

Have fun at prom.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Duplicate post, so I will reiterate the bit about investing in a solid flask and a date of questionable morals.

Last edited:

holmesfan13

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your well spoken advice. Shouldn't be hard having fun, but will be easier now that my mind's slightly more at ease.

P.S. Great profile gif

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically speaking, wingtips are wrong with a tuxedo. They are a faux pas as such, but in the order of faux pas that are committed at prom, pretty minor. If you want an ideal black tie ensemble, try again, but you're better off making sure your tuxedo fits well. A midnight blue tuxedo will be perfectly fine. Men have worn navy suits next to women in black cocktail dresses for the better part of a century.

If you want to stand out, get a simple black bowtie that you tie yourself vs. a clip on. It may not come into play until the after party, but being able to quietly untie your bowtie a la Frank Sinatra will stand out in a good way from the majority that are removing their clip on ties. The midnight blue tuxedo is a nice touch and will provide more than enough individuality. No need for your bow tie to add "character" to your outfit. A white linen pocket square would be a nice touch as well. As you age, you'll learn that part of the charm of black tie is making simple pieces work well together to give yourself a quiet elegance. As BB said, it really is the attention to detail that will differentiate you. Rather than trying to stand out, pay attention to the details and make yourself look damn good. That will stand out and in all the right ways without trying to be "creative," flashy or loud.

Lastly, enjoy prom. The fact that you're hear asking intelligent questions means that you are already ahead of most of your classmates, and well ahead of the people who are going to be wearing weird colored bowties and vests, or even worse, some awful pastel tuxedo. Relax, look good and have fun.

holmesfan13

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. You've both made great points about attention to detail. I've been going back and forth between trying to pull off the trendy, convention-defying look of the skinny tie world or that of a classic style, and I'm glad to say you've helped me side with the latter. I'll be sure to value an understated, simple look and appreciate the timeless image of the black and white tuxedo, sans neon pink and skinny ties.

holmesfan13

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. You've both made great points about attention to detail. I've been going back and forth between trying to pull off the trendy, convention-defying look of the skinny tie world or that of a classic style, and I'm glad to say you've helped me side with the latter. I'll be sure to value an understated, simple look and appreciate the timeless image of the black and white tuxedo, sans neon pink and skinny ties.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:fistbump:

Rafi SM

Reaction score
If you are looking for flair, get a pair of tuxedo pumps to complete the look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads