• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Absinthe

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS: The "Heure verte" site gives ratings in English for the French absinthes (see right column: les absinthes, then France).

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and as far as the US customs are concerned, the worst that can happen is that they'll confiscate it, I assume. But most customs officers are actually lenient, in my experience. They have smiled at me too, with my foie gras, breads and plants. They even didn't say anything when I obviously had gone over my limit on alcohol.
smile.gif

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, we've discussed scotch and vodka, so how about absinthe.  I hear it's "different."  I'm not going to put on strobe lights and crank up The Jefferson Airplane or try to recreate the life of Hunter S. Thompson, but I'd like to try some.  I know its illegal to make in the U.S, but is it available in Canada?  Is it against U.S. customs regulations to bring it into the U.S. because a friend of mine is going to Germany in a few weeks.  Anybody got any info?
I don't know where your friend will be staying in Germany. But you can buy the real stuff (incl. wormwood) in any Dutch liquor store.

So if he is staying close to our border it might be closer than Poland or the Czech Republic. I don't know about availability in Germany itself. In most European countries it is still illegal.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a favorite of E. Allen Poe. Â Read his stories and I think you'll get a good feel for what drinking a lot of absinthe might do to your psyche.
It was also Van Goghs favourite drink. Some people claim he cut off his ear when he was under the influence of Absinthe. But van Gogh had more than one mental issue anyway, so I wouldn't believe it
wink.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Mike @ 08 Dec. 2004, 05:37) Well, we've discussed scotch and vodka, so how about absinthe. Â I hear it's "different." Â I'm not going to put on strobe lights and crank up The Jefferson Airplane or try to recreate the life of Hunter S. Thompson, but I'd like to try some. Â I know its illegal to make in the U.S, but is it available in Canada? Â Is it against U.S. customs regulations to bring it into the U.S. because a friend of mine is going to Germany in a few weeks. Â Anybody got any info?
I don't know where your friend will be staying in Germany. But you can buy the real stuff (incl. wormwood) in any Dutch liquor store. So if he is staying close to our border it might be closer than Poland or the Czech Republic. I don't know about availability in Germany itself. In most European countries it is still illegal.
I saw it for sale a few weeks ago in Dusseldorf. I was suprised, and it might have been either without wormwood or smuggled, but it was there.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ 17 Dec. 2004, 07:35)
Originally Posted by Mike,08 Dec. 2004, 05:37
Well, we've discussed scotch and vodka, so how about absinthe. Â I hear it's "different." Â I'm not going to put on strobe lights and crank up The Jefferson Airplane or try to recreate the life of Hunter S. Thompson, but I'd like to try some. Â I know its illegal to make in the U.S, but is it available in Canada? Â Is it against U.S. customs regulations to bring it into the U.S. because a friend of mine is going to Germany in a few weeks. Â Anybody got any info?
I don't know where your friend will be staying in Germany. But you can buy the real stuff (incl. wormwood) in any Dutch liquor store. So if he is staying close to our border it might be closer than Poland or the Czech Republic. I don't know about availability in Germany itself. In most European countries it is still illegal.
I saw it for sale a few weeks ago in Dusseldorf. I was suprised, and it might have been either without wormwood or smuggled, but it was there.
The ban on Absinth in Holland has only been lifted for a couple of months now. You can get both kinds here, so pay attention when purchasing. If you buy absinth, also buy some absinth glasses and spoons. It's a bit easier to drink like that
smile.gif

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it is necessarily "easier" (some absinthes actually do no require sweetening), but there is a whole elegant ritual about serving and appreciating absinthe.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it is necessarily "easier" (some absinthes actually do no require sweetening), but there is a whole elegant ritual about serving and appreciating absinthe.
I'm not really a Absinthe drinker. I have been introduced to it by some of my Russian friends. But I prefer vodka myself
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads