• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Absinth…

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ordered a bottle from Europe (man was the shipping astronomical!). I haven't had any before, what's it like? How much does it differ from "˜regular' alcohol? Any brands that are recommended over the rest of the stuff out there? I already placed my order, but if I like it would be nice to know for the future.

Jon.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you order from the Czech Republic?

The taste is much like Pernod or any other pastis, only often stronger and harsher.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have to get an absinthe spoon.

picasso-absinthe.jpg

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thujone#Pharmacology
For many years thujone was thought to act on the cannabinoid receptors similar to THC based on studies that only looked at the molecules shape. [1] This is known to be false today and studies show thujone does not bind to these receptors. Thujone is a GABA-a receptor antagonist. By inhibiting GABA receptor activation neurons may fire more easily which can cause muscle spasms and convulsions. [2] A toxicology study of alpha-thujone, the more active of the two isomers, in mice found the median lethal dose, or LD50, is around 45 mg/kg, with 0% mortality rate at 30 mg/kg and 100% at 60 mg/kg. Those exposed to the higher dose had convulsions that led to death in 1 minute. From 30 to 45 mg/kg the mice would experience muscle spasms in the legs which progressed to general convulsions until death or recovery. Pretreatment of diazepam, phenobarbital or 1 g/kg of ethanol protected against a lethal 100 mg/kg dose. These findings are inline with other GABA antagonists. This study also found alpha-thujone was quickly metabolized in the mouse's liver. [2] The LD50 dose in humans is not known however a study in the "Journal of Studies of alcohol" tested attention performance with low, and high doses of thujone in alcohol. The researchers administered 0.28 mg/kg thujone in alcohol, 0.028 mg/kg in alcohol and just alcohol to their subjects. The high dose had a short term negative effect on attention performance. The lower dose showed no noticeable effect. [3] There is no evidence any size dose will cause hallucinations.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It tastes like crap. And it doesn't do anything special, even if you can choke down a lot of it. It does, however, look really cool, and it has a neat little ritual to do with it. But given the choice, I'd rather make flaming Dr Peppers.

dumbass2.gif

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One look at that clip and you'll never doubt Darwin again.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I love the Godzilla move he does, reminds me of this Dairy Queen commercial for the Flamethrower burger.

BTW, that is not how you're supposed to do a Flaming DrP - it's supposed to be dropped into a beer like a Carbomb.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I love the Godzilla move he does, reminds me of this Dairy Queen commercial for the Flamethrower burger.

BTW, that is not how you're supposed to do a Flaming DrP - it's supposed to be dropped into a beer like a Carbomb.

I know I'm getting old. When I was in college, all we did was drink cheap beer from a keg in the basement (well, that and the odd grain alcohol laced watermelon). I don't think the idea of lighting alcohol on fire and then drinking ever occurred to us.

mwrenchd

Reaction score
Edouard & Nouvelle Orleans are the best in my opinion (and the most expensive, no surprise). Un Emile is a good starter. I've also been enjoying Duplais for something a little spicier and drier.

It differs from regular spirits in that it is a lot stronger and is typically diluted. The flavor varies pretty widely between labels but is anchored by a clear fennel/anise flavor generally. A nice absinthe is a world of difference from the cheap Czech stuff that is in abundance.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had the US version. Tastes like cheap ouzo with a bit more tanginess.

mwrenchd

Reaction score
You didn't have absinthe then, which is technically illegal to produce or sell in the U.S.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads