• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Absence of chest patch pocket in cashmere / linen unconstructed designer sport coats like Brunello Cucinelli and Ermenegildo Zegna?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certain designers (like Italian very high end labels Brunello Cucinelli and Ermenegildo Zegna) have been pushing the unstructured blazer or sport coat as a signature look. Even before the current work from home and smart casual trends, these were gaining popularity. I'm curious because I was having them made (with triple patch pockets) when I first joined this forum, years before that trend.

I noticed, though, that almost none of the designer offerings feature chest patch pockets, even if many have hip patch pockets, particularly those in lighter colored linen and cashmere.

Is there any reason for this? Is it to retain some pretense of formality, to argue that some formal detail on a jacket in a casual color and fabric and done unstructured can still make the jacket appropriate for business (particularly in tech circles)? Is the chest patch pocket simply out of flavor or unfamiliar to the target audience of these designer labels?

Also, is there a reason to push zero lining instead of quarter lining? Does zero lining and zero structure sound more appealing to the target audience, who might not be too worried about a garment's durability anyway? Should I be talking to my tailor about trying zero lining over quarter lining?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly thought people would have an opinion on this!

Mercman

Reaction score
Hmmm. I suppose the absence of the patch pocket is all part of an attempt to bridge the tailoring-knitwear gap but, for me, it's a bridge too far because somehow it seems to cheapen the look of the garment. Personally, I like the three patch pockets on casual tailoring.

I do like the casual/unstructured look, which suits by build, but generally prefer quarter lining to totally unlined.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean no chest pocket at all, or that they have a welted chest pocket and patch hip pockets?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally prefer welted chest with patch hip pockets but I recognize that this is just a styling preference. To me, a patch chest pocket draws more attention to itself as it is a little unusual, increases the asymmetry of the jacket, and is closer to eye level. I suspect, as you mention, that many shoppers prefer the more understated look of the welted pocket.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did appreciate seeing the 1940s inspired California sport coat ensembles in Season 2 of “Agent Carter” and the triple patch pockets there, randomly .

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is how I advise clients with styling an odd jacket or sport coat. If you plan to wear the jacket with a tie and use it for business and social events get a breast welt. When you are seated in a meeting or a dinner, no one sees the patch and the pocket and tie are cohesive. If you want the jacket to be totally on the casual side and will seldom if ever wear a tie with, a patch pocket is the way to go.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advice is the same even for an unstructured linen or light cashmere sport coat, which will look to be much further to the casual side anyway? Well articulated advice as always of course.

rob

Reaction score
For me, after having both patch pockets with a breast welt and with a breast patch pocket, I prefer the look of the breast welt. For the record a wear a tie with both, but for the most part use a casual tie with Three patch operation.
rob

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This Marvel character caught my attention.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those pockets are very square. Greatly prefer more rounded patch pockets.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a 1940s themed show if that helps. The character moved to California from New York in Season 2 and more patch pockets showed up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads