• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Abs?

mmhollis

Reaction score
Not really overweight, but I'm 24 and a former college track athlete. I've been out of school for two years and basically stopped working out (thanks to a crazy work schedule) but I'm committed myself to getting into shape. Of course abs and toned biceps/triceps are the desired outcome. I'm 5'7 180 but my waistline has bulged from 34-36. I'd really like to get a flat stomach and get back to track shape! Anyone have any good workouts?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

I could smell a beatdown coming...

Seriously, judging from your stats I'd venture to say you are in significantly worse physical shape than you might think (34-36" waist for someone 5'7... yeah). You got a long way to go before 6, or even 3,4 pack starts showing. By that, I mean not in time for summer / beach season.

Spot reduce is a myth. At this point, cutting is the way to go; you'll need to lose 20lbs or about. Good luck.

mmhollis

Reaction score
I really don't think I have THAT much to go. I mean I played football as well so my legs and thighs are pretty developed. I can wear a 35 but it's just a little uncomfortable. I mean for all intents and purposes I think I'm being hard on myself I have a body most people would be happy with. I think it goes back to one of the other gentleman's post it seems like a lot of folks here are just thin. I still have an athletic shape just my stomach has a little bulge, which is only noticeable when wearing a fitted t-shirt really. Anyway, now that I have attempted to explain myself, workout suggestions?

hahnb

Reaction score
Losing fat is a function of diet. If you want abs, lose weight. I do very little direct ab work and have always been happy with mine. Weighted crunches twice a week is fine.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... as they've said, you'll obviously have to lose some weight, but I gather you knew that. If you do have a little more weight to lose than your letting on, then a better way to get some defintion is to do higher weighted sets of ab excercises. Most people think of ab work as loads of sit ups etc... loads of reps, and it works well for most. But for a bit of bulk try some resistance... like decline bench sit ups with a weight, cable crunches... etc... good luck

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmhollis
Not really overweight, but I'm 24 and a former college track athlete. I've been out of school for two years and basically stopped working out (thanks to a crazy work schedule) but I'm committed myself to getting into shape. Of course abs and toned biceps/triceps are the desired outcome. I'm 5'7 180 but my waistline has bulged from 34-36. I'd really like to get a flat stomach and get back to track shape! Anyone have any good workouts?

From my own experience, being 5 ft 6, depending on the size of your abs, if you have normal sized abs you will be waist 27-28 before you see a 6 pack fyi.

mmhollis

Reaction score
WHAT THE HELL? I give up, is a size 34 width pants equal 34 inch waist? I was a size 34 when I last had a 6 pack. I don't fill at 36 I have space in a 36 but geez. 27? I haven't been a 27 since I was like 15. I'm not looking to be skinny I just wanna regain a more athletic shape in my upper body.

scfdefinit

Reaction score
I can't tell you much more than you already know. Fix your diet/drink water. Cardio 3-4x a week. HIIT/sprints preferably to burn fat fast. Lift 2-3x a week.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmhollis
WHAT THE HELL? I give up, is a size 34 width pants equal 34 inch waist? I was a size 34 when I last had a 6 pack. I don't fill at 36 I have space in a 36 but geez. 27? I haven't been a 27 since I was like 15. I'm not looking to be skinny I just wanna regain a more athletic shape in my upper body.
depends on the pants, I'm not sure what size 34 refers to on your pants. Maybe you have really big abs?

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
From my own experience, being 5 ft 6, depending on the size of your abs, if you have normal sized abs you will be waist 27-28 before you see a 6 pack fyi.
Presumably there are variables besides fat and ab size that influence waist circumference.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
Presumably there are variables besides fat and ab size that influence waist circumference.

Originally Posted by imageWIS
Indeed, the size and girth of certain innards can have an effect as well.

Jon.

But drizzt, who apparently weighed in at ~200lbs and 6'0 a few days ago, wears sz 33-34 pants. He used to play football in HS, a linebacker IIRC.

Another way to think about it: the standard chest-wast drop is 6, the OP's (if his profile is accurate) is 5 (=40-35). To be in the physical shape he desires, one would need to be well above average; I'm talking at least a drop of 8 or so. I have also read that most people lose 1" in waist circumference for every 5-10lbs of weight loss. You do the math.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
But drizzt, who apparently weighed in at ~200lbs and 6'0 a few days ago, wears sz 33-34 pants. He used to play football in HS, a linebacker IIRC.

Another way to think about it: the standard chest-wast drop is 6, the OP's (if his profile is accurate) is 5 (=40-35). To be in the physical shape he desires, one would need to be well above average; I'm talking at least a drop of 8 or so. I have also read that most people lose 1" in waist circumference for every 5-10lbs of weight loss. You do the math.

Yeah, I think his numbers are significantly off. I weighed in at 194 today at 6'1" at 10% and am still probably 6-8 weeks of cutting away from 6 pack territory. My drop is about 11" at the moment (44.5" chest, 33.5" waist)

I played QB/LB in HS and college but I was a bit bigger then, ~230 or so.

velobran

Reaction score
Jesus ...

Everyone's numbers are different. I am 5'10" and currently weigh 170 lbs and my waist is about a 34 and I can see my abs just fine.

Two years ago, I weighed 200 lbs and my waist was still a 34. Yes, my chest, shoulders, and arms were a lot bigger, but my abdominal definition was no different from today.

Three years ago, I weighed 160 and still .. same waist and same abdominal definition.

It really depends on the person's overall build. Just because you skinny kids have a 26" waist and you are 5'7" doesn't mean another person who is 5'7" won't have a 34" waist and have a defined middle area.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Indeed, the size and girth of certain innards can have an effect as well.
I was thinking lower back muscle as well. My waist is larger than it was a couple of months ago, even while my abs have more definition. I think this is due more to increases in lower back mass (because of deadlifting and squatting) than ab mass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads