1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

About to buy some Diesel, please talk some sense into me!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by DGP, Apr 10, 2007.

1. DGP

DGP Senior member

So I was just sort of looking around on Revolve, and noticed these:

http://www.revolveclothing.com/Displ...uct=DIES-MJ30#

I know the reputation now as an old man jean, but I still have such fond memories of the simple fit/design, and denim ruggedness of Diesel, which were my first premium jeans a few years ago. These sort of remind me of a cheaper version of the RB6, but cut for a taller man with an odd sized waist, lol.

I know that this may very well be a bad use of my money, which is why it would be great if someone talked me out of it, lol.

2. ruben

ruben Senior member

what's wrong w/ diesel?

I saw a nice looking pair of diesel jeans in esquire.

3. DNW

DNW Senior member

They look okay. If the denim is decent, I'd wear them. The Diesel tag on the coin pocket is a bit dated though. I have two old pairs of Diesels that I still wear from time to time.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Meh, you'd buy $160 Diesels but not $150 5EP Deadstock? [​IMG]

5. DNW

DNW Senior member

Ouch!

6. ruben

ruben Senior member

whoa!
    where are these 5ep deadstock you speak of??

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'm not sure if 5EP is still selling the deadstock but for the last month and a half you could have bought them for $150 from 5EP directly. Do a search to find out the details.

8. DGP

DGP Senior member

I tried, but it became so difficult to get a timely response that I sort of gave up. Diesel's lower fits work better on me anyways, and with either a Revolve or Denim Bar discount (if they sell Diesel), it'll be about $120, which I can live with. If the denim is thick enough, they might last a while too. I will check them out at Bloomingdales tomorrow after work.

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I don't see how hard it is to buy stuff from 5EP... you just email them what you want, they send you a money request, and you pay. It took awhile, maybe 7 days total to get everything straightened out the two times I ordered. You just don't ask sizing info or anytihng like that to 5EP because there are plenty of people here that could answer your questions... like me [​IMG]

Anyways, those Diesels are ok, but I wouldn't spend $120 or whatever on them. There are plenty of better jeans for that price, including New Cures/Hipsters if you want low rise.

10. adamm411

adamm411 Senior member

Man, it's like a part time job just keeping up with all these denim manufacturers. It's frightening how many washes and cuts Diesel alone has! I guess the flip side is it's much easier to customize the fit, wash, etc. to theoretically get exactly what you want.

Adamm

PS: What drew you to the Larkees in particular? I don't see anything that distinguishes them from any other pair of dark jeans.

11. dimshum

dimshum Senior member

DGP, I personally tried on the Larkee, and I definitely felt it wasn't a flattering fit at all. I own a couple of diesels that I still wear from time to time, my lemmens and rolans, and I've got to say that if you were to buy a pair of diesels at the moment, you should check out the viker model. IMO it's probably the most flattering cut diesel has out there at the moment.

12. EdMan

EdMan Well-Known Member

I don't see how hard it is to buy stuff from 5EP... you just email them what you want, they send you a money request, and you pay. It took awhile, maybe 7 days total to get everything straightened out the two times I ordered. You just don't ask sizing info or anytihng like that to 5EP because there are plenty of people here that could answer your questions... like me [​IMG]

Anyways, those Diesels are ok, but I wouldn't spend $120 or whatever on them. There are plenty of better jeans for that price, including New Cures/Hipsters if you want low rise.

I agree with DGP that it is difficult to get a response from them. Maybe it's just timing, but I tried desperately to give them some money last month and could not get a response. So, I'm not going to beg anybody to give them my money. Plus I believe Godmother said the dead stock sale ended last month.

13. mongo615

mongo615 Senior member

You'd do just as well getting some Nudie Even Stevens in the dry denim--they've got a similar type of cut, they dont have that Orange stitching or that coin pocket patch, but they'll cost more. Shame you missed out on the 5EP deadstock sale--superior product, IMO.

14. heyleroy

heyleroy Well-Known Member

does anyone else think that the models on Revolve look awkward in the majority of the jeans they are modeling? it may be the tucked in white tee...but it seems like nothing looks flattering.

15. nastyandy

nastyandy Senior member

I jave a couple pairs of Deisel jeans, one is a dark one-wash that I wear often when I go out.

However, I don't care for that particular cut. Relaxed/tapered is probably the most unflattering cut I can think of, unless maybe you're really tall and really scrawny.

16. DGP

DGP Senior member

You'd do just as well getting some Nudie Even Stevens in the dry denim--they've got a similar type of cut, they dont have that Orange stitching or that coin pocket patch, but they'll cost more. Shame you missed out on the 5EP deadstock sale--superior product, IMO.

I like everything about those except the low back pockets. Those look terrible, IMO.

17. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

i think if the model put his arms down it would make the jeans look a lot more flattering on him.

if i was you i'd try them on at a store first just to make sure they are flattering on you, which they probably will. as much as people like to talk shat on here about diesel, i've yet to see them look bad on anyone who had the right body type and build for the particular jean they were wearing.

18. mongo615

mongo615 Senior member

That goes for any pair of jeans--I've owned Diesels in the past--the pair DGP is interested in is one of the better looking pair of them I've seen in a long time, but as Drizzt stated, 'Meh, you'd buy $160 Diesels but not $150 5EP Deadstock?'
    Outside of monetary constraints, I'd never buy a pair of Diesel over 5EP, or Nudie at the same price point
    [​IMG]

19. EdMan

EdMan Well-Known Member

Before I got into raw denim, Diesel was probably my most coveted jean. What brought me to raw was my quest to get some Vikers which I couldn't find. I'm really glad I didn't. I did find that Diesel fits run all over the board. It seemed either you had to be really slim or thick of leg to find jeans that were truly flattering.

The ones you're looking at are o.k. as long as they fit nice. But for my money I would buy APC's. They seem to fit everyone great.

20. DGP

DGP Senior member

Tried those on at Bloomies yesterday, no go. Think of a low-waisted version of the RB6, with crappier denim, and you've got these. The waist was too low, the leg too loose for my taste. I think for a pre-washed, sub-$200 jean, I will just be sticking with ES.