• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

abercrombie & fitch shirts - why the hate?

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
I suppose I might consider one if I ran across it at a secondhand or thrifting, but I wouldn't seek out and buy the stuff new.

Eccentric

Reaction score
As a poor as **** college student, I just don't have the money to spend on a $200+ flannel shirt. It's not me being cheap or skimping on quality: it's just not possible at the moment. As such, the idea of a relatively well fitting flannel of alright materials that won't fall apart in the wash is rather appealing. I hate the a&f douche image as much as anyone here, but a slim flannel without branding is enough of a departure from that image to be acceptable to me.

What I don't understand about this thread is that a suggestion to buy a shirt at h&m would probably not have met with the same hostility, even though the item in question would have been of lower quality.

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
What I don't understand about this thread is that a suggestion to buy a shirt at h&m would probably not have met with the same hostility, even though the item in question would have been of lower quality.

brand image, marketing, etc.

stylewithease

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
The name of the brand influences what peoples buy and styleforum isn't an exception.

I think the question is do you really want to support a company that has had issues over discriminatory practices against minorities, the autistic, uses disreputable manufacturing, targets ignorant kids with too much money, and is associated with pure dochebaggery from its ceo to its average customer?

Slim plaid and flannel shirts are honestly dime a dozen especially nowadays. What's more important is a company whose product you can trust. Who gives a **** how the shirts fit? Who gives a **** if quality is not absolute mud?

So everything that you wear is made by happy people that are paid enough to support their family and be able to spend on the luxuries of life? Those SF affiliates aren't targeting these skinny internet fashion elitists when the only difference in manufacturing from cheap A&F **** is better materials and using less fabric to create a slimmer fit? Aren't all those SF affiliates being mean to all the fat people out there by not catering to their needs?

If you don't like it, don't buy it. There are 2 sides to everything and I'm telling you right now all those SF affiliate brands are making a **** load of money right now from marking up their pieces to much higher prices. I know they are higher quality across the board but that's what's happening.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylewithease
So everything that you wear is made by happy people that are paid enough to support their family and be able to spend on the luxuries of life? Those SF affiliates aren't targeting these skinny internet fashion elitists when the only difference in manufacturing from cheap A&F **** is better materials and using less fabric to create a slimmer fit? Aren't all those SF affiliates being mean to all the fat people out there by not catering to their needs? If you don't like it, don't buy it. There are 2 sides to everything and I'm telling you right now all those SF affiliate brands are making a **** load of money right now from marking up their pieces to much higher prices. I know they are higher quality across the board but that's what's happening.
The prices have to be higher. The market is smaller and the production is smaller. A brand like Wings + Horns probably only makes a few thousand pieces a year in a workshop, as opposed to a brand like AnF that probably has 20 factories in China pumping out millions of the shirts. If AnF makes $10 profit off each shirt and they make 10,000,000 of them, they're doing fine. If you make $10 profit off each shirt and you make 2000 of them... Then that's pretty worthless, so of course they need to make a higher profit. And last time I checked, fat people's needs are already catered to by a huge number of brands, it's the slim people who aren't catered to. You go into any department store and you can find plenty of XXL+ shirts, but when's the last time you saw XXS? Pants up to 38W are easy to find, what about 27 or 28 (that have a reasonable inseam?) Only on more expensive brands. Small people have to pay more to wear clothes than fat people, we all know that. Are you actually trying to make this argument?

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
workshop
laugh.gif

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
And last time I checked, fat people's needs are already catered to by a huge number of brands, it's the slim people who aren't catered to. You go into any department store and you can find plenty of XXL+ shirts, but when's the last time you saw XXS? Pants up to 38W are easy to find, what about 27 or 28 (that have a reasonable inseam?) Only on more expensive brands.
oh rly? name me a designer brand that caters to fat people... ive thought long and hard and i cant think of a single one! and anf employs a ton more people than w+h/ndg/etc

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by naaaaate
Can we have a budget subforum? I think it's fine that people want to know how to look passable on the cheap but it'd be cool if it didn't intrude on more interesting threads. This abercrombie thread got to 5 pages in 12 hours and I bet the junya thread is buried on forum page 12. I'm on no high horse I work on sub-shoestring budget (literally been putting off spending what little money i do have for new laces for my ebayed redwings lol) but man I don't see what's interesting about it to talk about this **** as much as people do. The people on the budget style level would do much better to look at runway shows and make shabby edits out of what they see using the mall budget as opposed to actually reading the mall brand threads.
I was thinking having a designer subforum for SW&D, will probably never happen though.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
I was thinking having a designer subforum for SW&D, will probably never happen though.

That would be dumb as ****.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
CASE A) Appeasing aesthetic, fit
CASE B) Very high quality
CASE C) Low-price

Most things only fall into one of those categories. Some fall into 2 categories. Practically nothing falls into all 3. And no, not even the "talented" brands can do all 3.

...I have no real knowledge of what jkissi, willy and/or chrono buy or wear, but if they work on a limited budget theres really only 3 options:

1. They buy expensive **** on deep discount sales, B/S, eBay, etc. (Case A,B)
2. They buy expensive **** in very small doses (Case A,B)
3. They buy inexpensive **** (Case A, C)

This thread = attempt at Case A,B,C

arguably it's really just Case A,C or Case B,C

arguably its only Case C

It is very easy to build a wardrobe if you don't take into account Case C.

The supporters of these shirts (I'm not one of them) are trying to take the approach of looking at things item-by-item, finding the rare slipped-through-the-cracks pieces.

But if you really think that their approval of one shirt implies that they now tasteless "shop at A+F" plebs you need to take that runway marital aid out of your ass. Think the shirt is boring / ugly (doesn't meet Case A), like I do? Good, say so, and move the **** on

A&f is neither of those three so take those mall brand dildos out of your ass and mouth. If people want to buy them that's fine but there is no point in having an a&f thread on this topic unless you'd like to advocate a budget subforum. I can find plaid shirts in target too shall I start a thread on that guyz?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
oh rly? name me a designer brand that caters to fat people... ive thought long and hard and i cant think of a single one! and anf employs a ton more people than w+h/ndg/etc
I didn't say designer brands, I meant in general. I'd say it's easier and cheaper for someone overweight (although not disgustingly fat maybe) to find a decent looking well made garment that fits them properly than it is for me. I'd be completely happy wearing less designery stuff if it actually fit me at all. And I always see enormous suits at Ralph Lauren stores and XXL blazers on deep clearance (75+% off), and not the ****** RL stuff either. Although how fat are we talking, I don't even know what fat is :\\ And according to the RL website they make up to XXXXXXL Brooks Brothers apparently makes suits up to 56L. Neither one of these companies makes XXS, XS, 32R or even 34R

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Umm don't you have a 32 inch chest? Have you considered working out? Unless there's some medical reason
Originally Posted by Biscotti
That would be dumb as ****.
Yeah I guess.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
^^Umm don't you have a 32 inch chest? Have you considered working out? Unless there's some medical reason Yeah I guess.
I just have a small bone structure and a ridiculous metabolism. I have no desire to work out or bulk up, I'm happy the way I am. Trying to become muscly would just make me look awkward.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
A&f is neither of those three so take those mall brand dildos out of your ass and mouth. If people want to buy them that's fine but there is no point in having an a&f thread on this topic unless you'd like to advocate a budget subforum. I can find plaid shirts in target too shall I start a thread on that guyz?

I disagree.

I ask you a question: WRT A&F, are you talking from experience? Have you tried an AnF shirt recently?

AnF marketing is horrible and the mall shops suck and the image they push is horrible. No question of any of that. However to say that their shirts are terrible because of the above is snobbish. The flannel shirts from A&F this season are as nice as the Epaulet x SF one I own. That being my personal experience, I see no harm in starting a thread about their shirts.

No one is stopping you from starting a Target thread. FWIW, if I find that the Target shirts are priced well and are of good quality I will buy them, and so will others. As an example, you see how popular Clarks boots are around here, don't you? Know why, when there are many other brands selling (better) similar stuff? Answer: Price point is not too bad, even if quality is not as good as it can be. Everyone knows Clarks is not Alden - still people buy and wear them even though Clarks is made in sweatshops from the far east.

Just because stuff is from Target doesn't immediately mean they are horrible. You do buy other stuff from Walmart and Target, don't you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics