• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Abercrombie body

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I think the point is - what new tips do you think you are going to get? They will all revolve around eating less and exercising more. What don't you get? Why ask the question if there are tons of working out threads on here? Anytime someone starts threads like these - "Where can I find slim-fitting dress shirts?" "How can I get laid more?" "Black dress shoes or brown?" they get flamed because the topics have been addressed ad nauseum. Your reaction to the flames just confirms what the original insulter said regarding your self-image.

sloaney

Reaction score
Give me a break. 90% of the posts about this forum is about how to build a nicer pec or how to bulid a nicer butt. I don't see many posts about building a healthy body.

Most people in this forum feel that anything 'abercrombie' is beneath them (and their gentlemanly refined taste or whatever) and that is why i am being trashed here.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I think the point is - what new tips do you think you are going to get? They will all revolve around eating less and exercising more. What don't you get? Why ask the question if there are tons of working out threads on here? Anytime someone starts threads like these - "Where can I find slim-fitting dress shirts?" "How can I get laid more?" "Black dress shoes or brown?" they get flamed because the topics have been addressed ad nauseum. Your reaction to the flames just confirms what the original insulter said regarding your self-image.

thumbs-up.gif

Jon.

sloaney

Reaction score
FLMountainMan: While I agree with you that some forum members might dislike the same topic being brought up to you again, have you considered that there may be others who might enjoy having the same conversation again? Have you considered that there may have been new members since 2 years? Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you need to shut it down! There are lots of threads I find annoying or silly but I don't go around telling people what to do. i doubt you would behave this way in normal situations - would you ask your friends to stop discussing the same thing they discussed last week? and what has this got to do with my self-image? even with a poor self-image i still have the right to ask questions on styleforum, do i not?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
FLMountainMan: While I agree with you that some forum members might dislike the same topic being brought up to you again, have you considered that there may be others who might enjoy having the same conversation again? Have you considered that there may have been new members since 2 years? Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you need to shut it down! There are lots of threads I find annoying or silly but I don't go around telling people what to do.

Although I agree with you somewhat, a general question like the one you're posing here has no specific answer. What everyone will tell you, and I suspect you already know this, is that you need to work out more. You need to lift and do cardio, and watch your calorie intake. Google for "body for life," follow it, and you'll get your results. With that said, there's no easy solution for this. You will work hard for it, day in, day out.

If you want to see some quick results in a shorter time period, have a look at a workout program called Power90X. From what I've read, people seem to have decent results if they follow it, 6 days a week.

sloaney

Reaction score
ok, let's all forget about this, not worth fighting or wasting on our time.
-last post from me on this thread-

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting how FLMM and DarkNWorn are trying to help out and you're just blowing them off.

JB

Reaction score
I'm astounded at the absoluteness of the ZERO some people here contribute. Though image macros always make me laugh.
smile.gif

1) Regarding A&F bodies.... Unless the musculature is built on roids or due to silicone implants, it's perfectly healthy looking. Low BMI and high muscle mass is always a good thing to shoot for. Being a douche is based 100% on personality; Saying the A&F models are douches by definition is ridiculous. They dress like douches, yes, but they're paid to pose homoerotically in a certain brand's clothing. I have a feeling he's going after this to make ***** easier to obtain. If that's what i'll take to improve his self-image, then let him shoot for it. Once he's got the bidy he wants, he can work on his mental peace.

2) To the OP: as has been mentioned, it's not magic. You either do the work or get no results.

Eat properly and burn energy to obtain a low body fat %. Lift weights to build up muscle to get the definition you want.

Don't cheap out on this. Buy a book or two. They're usually written by folks with MD after their names, so they're legit. Much more complete than you'll get trolling forums and newsgroups.

Good beginner's book is http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Ha...2760381&sr=8-1
AT 10$, it has a lot of good advice and a nice workout, based on freeweights that will help you build up a good basis for major lifting.

The reference for muscle building is Arnold's book...
http://www.amazon.com/New-Encycloped...2760457&sr=8-1

It's a 3-book 'set'

First one is about motivation and does a good job getting you excited to lift and work out. Arnold is very inspirational.

Second one explains what you can achieve, what kind of intensity you should aim for, and gives an overview of how building muscle works

Third is all about specific training programs, lots of illustrated exercises, posing (ie in competition) and nutrition.

There are other well-regarded books too. Do a search.

Long story short:
Eat well
Do cardio
Lift weights
Sleep 8 hours+ per night

Get informed and start doing something.

Run every day for 15-30 minutes for a couple of weeks and it'll start to become a habit. Start to pay serious attention to what and how much you eat, and you'll start to cut out the junk. Build a routine, join a gym and start lifting.

If you do everything right, you're looking at great results in a 6 month timeframe. From that point, you can keep building muscle, or just do what you need to maintain the current look. Depends on your goals.

Oh - and spend time to create/buy a log book and be meticulous in writing things down. It helps immensely.

Don't complain about no one helping you. Ignore the unhelpful posts and focus on the on-topic ones.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give me a break. 90% of the posts about this forum is about how to build a nicer pec or how to bulid a nicer butt. I don't see many posts about building a healthy body.

Considering how you phrased your first post, it's clear that you're after the aesthetic aspect of an "Abercrombie body". This is but one in many different states of being healthy, and definitely not an optimal one at that.

having an a&f body is a ****** goal? are you kidding me?

Originally Posted by 65535
lift a lot of weights and run a lot. you'll look better than those skinny jerkoffs in no time

Yes. This particular look (slim, relatively little muscle mass with a well defined 6 pack) bears little applications or uses in normal lifestyles, and even less so in busy young professionals'. Of course, if you model for a living a.k.a lead the Abercrombie lifestyle, or have means supported by some demanding sugar daddies, then you can throw everything I wrote out of the window. Somehow I don't think that's the case.

Again, been there done that. Didn't make me happier, for nibbling with calories (eating well below maintenance rate is the easiest path to this particular look) and worrying about getting fat (easier to develop a belly/get skinny fat when you don't have much muscle) are constant concerns . I'd much rather gain some muscle mass, be able to play sports at higher levels, or deadlift 400lbs.

So there.

gvibes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
If you want to see some quick results in a shorter time period, have a look at a workout program called Power90X. From what I've read, people seem to have decent results if they follow it, 6 days a week.
Skip P90x - it's expensive. Try Crossfit. It's free, and teaches the same sort of things.

gvibes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 65535
Good beginner's book is http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Ha...2760381&sr=8-1
AT 10$, it has a lot of good advice and a nice workout, based on freeweights that will help you build up a good basis for major lifting.

The reference for muscle building is Arnold's book...
http://www.amazon.com/New-Encycloped...2760457&sr=8-1

It's a 3-book 'set'

First one is about motivation and does a good job getting you excited to lift and work out. Arnold is very inspirational.

Second one explains what you can achieve, what kind of intensity you should aim for, and gives an overview of how building muscle works

Third is all about specific training programs, lots of illustrated exercises, posing (ie in competition) and nutrition.

I'm a big fan of "Starting Strength" by mark rippetoe.

sloaney

Reaction score
Well, thanks for the responses.

In my defense, I haven't been doing nothing for the past 2 years. I have been going to the gym consistently (at least twice or three times each week) for the past 1.5 years. Although I have certainly increased my muscle mass (body looks OK with a golf shirt on), I still feel a bit 'bulky' with fat if you know what I mean .... my body fat is at 17.5%

You are quite right that it is particularly the 'Abercrombie' aesthetic I am after. Perhaps it is not the best possible body from a health perspective, but I can't imagine it being any less healthy than the shape I am presently in, and in either case probably 95% healthier than everyone on this planet. I don't understand why you think the Abercrombie models have no musculature .... they often do, and they are defined, and these types of bodies tend to look good without clothes as well as with a suit (being less bulky)......

i also honestly don't understand how undereating can get me there, if you look at the abercrombie models they hardly look like they are starving.... on the contrary they look strong, athletic and muscular, etc....

but i will give the responses above from all of you some serious thought, thanks again

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads